Saturday 3 February 2024

From SylvainR: D&D - 28mm Heroes and Zombies (60 points)

 I really enjoyed painting these D&D miniatures and for the first time in my painting life, I was able to work on two different projects at the same time. Usually, my lizard brain is completely focused on one project that I need to finish before starting the next one. However, my 6mm-WW2 project is so big that it will take me years to complete and my family wants to play D&D NOW. So I needed to get on these heroes and monsters NOW.

So my new "business model" is to leave the D&D figurines on the edge of my painting desk where "I can see them". Then, "naturally", after painting 20 tanks in a row, I feel like "just adding the base color for the skin on that wizard", and then I add "just some blue on the necromancer", and so on. Somehow, the two projects now seem to complement each other in my brain... Or should I consult a doctor?... Please write your diagnostic down in the comment section :-).

Anyway, here is a family picture of my last batch of D&D goodies. All the models were given to me by JeremyM and are soft plastic miniatures from Reaper. By the way, you know how these models can sometimes end up with bent parts. Instead of hot water, I use a heat gun for tile removing, set to shoot upward with a narrow nozzle. I just expose the mini a few seconds in the hot air flow and voilà, it almost instantly becomes soft and can be easily re-shaped.

Let's start with a closer look at the zombies. For their skin color, I came up with an tone that would evoke both normal flesh and the dirt they stand on. In retrospect, I think I should have done more variations on their skins, to represent various stages of decay. I'm sure there will be more zombies to paint in the future, it's such a classic feature of fantasy games.


Next we have a necromancer with a nice collection of skulls that I could sell for a fair price to any Challenger taking part in the Skullz duel. I set up rocks on its base to represent either some kind of mystic circle or some kind of underground magic going on. Next to him is a Valkyrie-like warrior. I opted to paint her armor as leather instead of metal and I really like how this combination of brown and blue turned out.



Here is a monk and a young wizard. The lady is from Wizards-of-the-Coast. The monk's gear was an interesting challenge because I wanted his cloths to be white, but still showing the details. The picture from the back reveals a long mold line going up to the head that I did not notice before.




Points claimed:

12 x 28mm foot figurines at 5 points each = 60 points

Thanks for reading!

"A change is as good as a rest" so they say, Sylvain. I think it's much more normal to have multiple projects on the go, honestly. But I really like your work on these models, the zombies look suitably horrible and disgusting, and I especially like your work on the valkyrie-esque gal. Those Reaper models and their bendy-bendy parts can be tricky - I like your pro tip. 60 points for you!

Dallas



10 comments:

  1. Nice collection of D&D figures Sylvain. Good tip on fixing the bendy bones plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the family will enjoy using your heroes to bury those zombies for good. Nothing is more annoying than the camera showing you a mold line you just couldn’t see. Last time that happened it was small so I made the mold line a scar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good sart of the project! Nicely painted indeed. One suggestion I'd make: use lighter colours for the bases to make the model better stand up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Sylvain - I think its a great idea to have more than one unit on the painting table at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Valkyrie and the skin tones on the zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremy is a lovely fellow and you've been doing his generous gift great justice, Sylvain. I particularly like that monk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Sylvain, with a 'main' project like yours, I think you need the distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the Necromancer is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great paintjob Sylvain, good choice of colours!

    ReplyDelete