Saturday 3 February 2024

From SylvainR: Tray 6 - 6mm WW2 Cossacks (part 3 of 3) (63 points)

 Here are the last units of my battalion of Cossack.

First, a company of tachankas (spelling may vary depending on the source). Basically, it's a "Maxim" heavy machine gun mounted on the back of a horse-pulled cart and set to fire backward. The weapon could also be dismounted. The models are from GHQ and they are very tricky to assemble since the horses have no "pedestal" to be glued on the base. I would love to write a GregB-style rant about it, but I'm just not that kind of wordsmith wizard.


The Company HQ has a few models from Heroics and Ros.

Next are 4 cavalry scout sections for reconnaissance. This picture also clearly shows my philosophy about creating terrain for bases. You can see that I am slightly exaggerating the amount and size of rocks on the base, but to me this seems more natural.


In this composite picture, 2 battalion HQs, one for the Cossacks and one for the Polish cavalry. All the models are from Heroics & Ros, except the cart and horses on Budyonny's base. The coding colors at the back represent the companies they command. For the Polish BHQ, I built some kind of stone circle in the grass, but in retrospect it does not feel purposeful. I also mounted a radio operator on the cart for the Cossack BHQ. I like how, on Budyonny's stand, the orientation of the miniatures somehow creates the illusion of a slow moving group.

Points claimed:

For the sake of simplicity, I would like to count each Tachanka (and each cart on the BHQs) as a vehicle (instead of counting 2 horses + 1 foot + 1 limber, etc).

- 18x 6mm vehicles at 2 points each = 36

- 24x 6mm mounted at 1 point each = 24

- 5 x 6mm foot at 1/2 point each = 2 (let's drop the fraction, it's annoying :-))

Total = 62 points

This will also count towards the "Really Little Guys" duel.

Thanks for reading!

More awesome Cossacks here Sylvain! The tachankas are really cool and it's fine by me to count them as vehicles. The groundwork looks great too. Consider that 62  63 points added!

Dallas


8 comments:

  1. Wonderful looking tachankas Sylvain. Your basing is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice- I echo Curt about the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent additions Salvain. Now with the hooves thundering I can also hear the wagons creaking and the maxims rattating. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great entry to that army of your Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely little vignettes that you have created. Love the tchankas. You’re a brave man fielding Budyonny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Curt- I really dig the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some quality basing. The models are pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete