Saturday 3 February 2024

From PaulSS: General Hood and other ACW goodies - 40pts


Only a small addition from myself this week, it was great to help out Drew with his Knights of St Lazarus, but it rather broke my production line. 

First up is a Confederate commander for my forces, Major-General John B. Hood, from the Perry Miniatures Confederate mounted Commanders pack.

Major-Gen John B. Hood.

He is accompanied by a drummer that was left over from the firing line that was posted a few weeks ago

Major-Gen John B. Hood.

More astute observers will notice that from the Perry website this model is actually supposed to represent General Longstreet, what can I say, I got a little confused, the real General Hood model will do duty as Longstreet.

Major-Gen John B. Hood.

I hope to have the rest of the Confederate generals painted in time for next weeks entry, two of them and their attendants are already painted, just need basing, two are in process and the last one cleaned and primed.

Major-Gen John B. Hood.

Major-Gen John B. Hood.

Also added to the collection were some bases of Confederate skirmishers/militia made up of troops from the Crusader Miniatures Bushwackers
 

These are a lovely set of characterful ne'er-do-wells.


Like the generals, the other half of the pack are next on deck on the painting table and all being well will feature next week. 



I so liked the look of the Renedra Cross & Rail Fencing that I painted last month I picked up another pack of them.


This time I decided to model one of them with a broken down end. They appear to be out of stock now in my usual places, but I'll pick up more when they become available.


It's all well and good now having several feet of fencing, I didn't have any gates. A search of the bits box turned up some Warbases 5-bar gates, I added gate posts from some balsa wood, and one of them links into the cross and rail fencing with a spare cross-piece.



For my (low) tally completed for the week, a single 28mm mounted, five 28mm foot and a quarter cube of terrain for 40pts added to my total, although I'm now comfortably past my target 750pts.

Well done Paul, I really like the style of your ACW models. The painting is crisp and the groundwork is superb as always... "faces and bases" right? Nice work on the fences too and I appreciate the scratch-building on the gate!

Dallas

22 comments:

  1. I’m really enjoying your ACW project Paul. Hood has a grey uniform and a shaggy yellow beard, that’ll do for identification! Nice to see the Bushwhackers (on table at least). They look like they’re off to deal with a Deep State Taylor Swift related plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, indeed is he in a grey coat, then he's a Confederate. The Bushwackers certainly do, unfortunately, have modern day descendents.

      Delete
  2. Judging by the portraits on Wikipedia the model could be either general - the facial hair matches! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I understand Longsteet had darker hair.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the general no matter who he identifies as.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work, I specially like the command stand

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like following this ACW project of yours, the painting really makes those figures pop

    ReplyDelete
  6. More beautiful stands to add to your enviable collection Paul. That Hood command stand is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work. I like how the bases match the fence bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I try to use a cohesive style for my bases.

      Delete