Wednesday 7 February 2024

From TomC: Banzuiin Chōbei (25 points)

Hello again everyone, long time no post, the gap between posting is getting longer when I need it to be getting shorter! It can be done, January has been a busy month, some of it for good reasons (getting my wife's manuscript in front of publishers), some of it less so (UK self-assessment tax deadlines)...



 Today's entry is a 28mm Warlord Games sculpt, from when they carried the Test of Honour range, and is Banzuiin Chōbei, from their Chōbei's Rebels set. He's still available under their Warlords of Erehwon line but I did not acquire him that recently!




The man himself was a Japanese folk hero, using his prodigious sword skills to protect his local area from roaming hoodlums. A traditional drama suggests that he was only killed when his yakuza enemies, unable to defeat him combat, trapped him a bath house and set it on fire! 

He was a great change of pace from my last entry, despite all the laced armour panels (although fewer than there could be!), I really enjoy these Warlord sculpts and this was no exception. He also holds the curious distinction of being the first topless miniature I've painted... (Doombull Brown / Cadian Fleshtone if you would like my nipple recipe) I still have trouble with bright metallics, at least the sword looks sharp!



I took the opportunity to finish the basing on these characters while I was working on Banzuiin, which means that I've finally completed the Bandits and Brigands box Warlord put out... you can see the assembled gang below, I painted the first about six years ago now (first in from the left)!
 


Points wise, no improvement on my accounting ratio from last time (or Curt's Rosetta Stone!): one 28mm miniature for 5 points and a Famous Person location bonus for another 20 points for a not so grand 25 point total. 

***

Hi Tom! Well, if we are going to have these ratio-heavy 25-point single figures, at least they look amazing! Some fantastic brushwork here, even if there are "fewer" laced armour panels, given that "one" is too many for me and thus has always kept me away from ever exploring this sort of setting. 

And bravo on finishing off that box set...that sort of thing can take a bit of time for all manner of perfectly legitimate reasons...for example, say, you start five other boxes of things at the same time? Or life stuff happens? Whatever! It is done, and the whole group looks fantastic!

25 points for you - thanks for treating us to some incredible painting.

GregB



24 comments:

  1. Some lovely painting here. Thanks for sharing the nipple recipe! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some great work- love the colours, the painting and the sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they're some of my favourites from Warlord!

      Delete
  3. Some fine painting on this figure and interesting backstory. An impressive set of man boobs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work Tom, that face is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, got lucky with the eyes!

      Delete
  5. Very nice. Great skin tones and painting all around. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous brushwork. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, nice to do something more colourful!

      Delete
  7. That is an a wonderful group of figures. Thanks for the nipple recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks amazing, great attention to details. Skin tones are always tricky but this came out lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie, I must admit that I don't think I used the same recipe twice amongst this lot, always something new to try!

      Delete