Thursday 7 March 2024

From MartijnN: 32mm Pirates, Beer and Music [Art](70 points)

Who does not like pirates, or buccaneers?  I know I do, as a child I read lots of books from the library about famous pirates in the mysterious Carribbean. So when Iain Lovecraft ran a pirate Kickstarter I of course had to back it. I actually printed these 32mm "heroic scale" figures for the previous Challenge, but you know. This time, however, I managed to paint some up.

First, we have some very elegant but very dangerous lady pirates:


I really love the lady pointing her sword quite imperiously.

Then, there are three gentlemen:

I really like these figures, they are full of character, some quite over the top and others very businesslike.

Now all I need is a suitable pirate game rules set. I do have the one by Osprey, but haven't played it yet. I must organize some appropriate terrain too, but that will first have to be printed or bought. We'll see.

Pirating makes thirsty, so here is the cafe staff, also from Iain Lovecraft. 

Finally, I should move along in the Library, and I enter the Art section. For this, I have two art forms; poetry and music.

Here is a lute player or minstrel, again from Iain Lovecraft. I think he is from the The Frost series. He is more of a medieval type, but I am sure he can be made to sing the praise of some doughty privateers.

And finally, a poet designed by Evan Carothers. This is more of a 28mm figure, but I love him posing with his book in his hand and some rolls of paper in his quiver. Some "Cannon to the right of them, cannon to the left of them" as an ode to an intrepid Captain Hook is certainly in order I should think. 

Which brings us to the map:

I have a bit of a lame book recommendation, because although I read many books about pirates as a child I actually have none myself, not even in Dutch, apart from the Pirate book in the Osprey Elite Series which many of you will know very well. So we'll turn to art instead, and to be precise to the Art of War. I won't recommend Jomini's  Précis de l'Art de la Guerre so as not to seem too pretentious, but Rory Muir's Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of  Napoleon covers the subject nicely:

This a great book covering just about what it says on the tin. Published by Yale University Press, so not really for the general reader, but still very accessible. Chapters on the various branches of the army, command and control, before and after the battle, various types of combat, it is all in there, illustrated by many contemporary sources from men who had to experience war and battle during the period. Well-written, well researched, a very good book I thought. No illustrations, that would have been a boon, but nevertheless much recommended.

So there we have it. Scoring is simple again:

10x 28mm/32mm foot @ 5 = 50

Art section bonus = 20

For a total of 70 points.

TeemuL: The cafe staff looks great, you have done a great job painting the foam! Makes me thirsty!  And I'm quite sure the pirates don't care if the lute player performs songs from incorrect era. In general I really like the bit faded look on the bar staff compared to brightier pirate crew. I do hope you manage to find some rules to play with these jolly fellows! Waiting eagerly for the possible second post of the day...

13 comments:

  1. Very colourful. The bar staff are a good find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the Pirates! Very well painted - enjoyed seeing those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine freebooters Martijn. I can hear the music and the suds hitting the floor planks. Really fun submission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous freebooters indeed, Martijn. I especially like the Lady Pirates and the bar staff (good heads of foam there). I agree with your book recommendation - Muir is a good read for the Napoleonic grognard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I likes the Pirates very much me hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bar/cafe servers are my favourites and I really love their soft pastel colour palette, lovely choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking set of figures, love the colors you've chosen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great colourful pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Martijn, lots of character and colour

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cool Martijn, well done yet again!

    ReplyDelete