Monday 8 December 2014

From AdamC - A bard to tell my tale (5 Points)

As some of you may know myself and fellow Challenge participant John M are involved in a Dux Britanniarvm campaign.   Most of the figures are John's but I have been growing set starting off with various leaders and special characters.


This is a Saga Bard figure I have named Glynn (one of the characters in Guy Kay's excellent Last Light of the Sun, form which I have drawn much dark age inspiration) an Briton singer who was captured on a raid but now a trusted member of my Saxon Warlord's household.  I really like the simple costume of this figure as I could see this fellow putting in a hard day in fields or traveling the roads dressed this way.  The sword may not be entirely appropriate in a historical sense but does give the sense he can look after himself.


I made the cloak a brighter color as an entertainer should have some flamboyance even in a dark ages setting. The high lighting makes it look a little threadbare a happy accident as this was not my intention.  The bard does not take part in battles in Dux but he does give me a +1 bonus when making a pre-battle speech which can boost my force moral.  He'll be a nice addition to the Saxon Army when I can afford him "in game."


The up turned head makes it seem like he could be singing to in pray to some higher being or beings so he may well find himself in my Gods and Mortals army as well.  Scale 28mm so another 5 Points to my total.

From Curt:
Very nice Adam, and a great back story (being Welsh, you could have given him big belt buckle, a pair of bell-bottoms and called him Tom Jones). I'm quite envious of your Dux B. campaign as it sounds like a lot of fun (and I know from experience that John is a great opponent). 
Glynn the Singer will give Adam 5 points. Good work and I hope his next 'set' gives you a suitably up-tempo morale bonus.

26 comments:

  1. good job. may need to work more with hair and eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Eyes are always a struggle for me normally I just don't worry about them you can do that at 15mm. So while this isn't exactly new ground its not something I have as much practice with as other things. at the risk of opening flood gates I would be happy to hear tips and tricks on eyes.

      As the hair it does look a bit flat... it might benefit form some more wash and a little more dry-brushing...

      Delete
    2. some guides:
      https://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/12
      http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/how-to-paint-eyes-on-a-28-mm-miniature/blog/1/26

      Delete
    3. Thanks I will take a look when I can

      Delete
  2. John is a fine table to foe indeed! and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see an unusual subject ...I just can't get the Holy Grail scenes out of my head... Brave brave Sir Robin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And in the winter they ate Robin's minstrels, and there was much rejoicing".

      Delete
  4. I do like Dark age figures. I like the cloak dyed with Madder no doubt and willed to the bard. (About 2 miles of thread in a cloak that size so you can see why they were left in wills) You have created a back story for the figure just with the colours you use. And It has put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very flattered sir! and your spot on about the value of fine clothing even fine hand-me-down clothing in times past. Its something I should have thought of as a reenactor and thank you for reminding me.

      Delete
  5. A knight walks into a bard. The bard says nothing, but silently plans for the day when the population will rise up against their feudal overlords...

    Great figure Adam :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done. This is my favourite of the bard miniatures that GB offer. I just love the bodhran it's playing, I think it more practical than playing a harp on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Adam and a great back story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work. I never can afford a bard in our Dux B. games... might have something to do with my bad dice throwing though. Maybe try to paint the eyes before the skin as it makes it easier to correct any mistakes. Or simply don't paint them. I 've painted eyes for a long while but recently came to the conclusion it's not worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I am trying the paint them first approach on some other figures on the table right now.

      Delete
  9. Very nice. The cape is a really good touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work. He reminds me of a friend who plays in a Celtic band, affectionately known to us as "the moron on the bodhran".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll just echo Clint and say the fancy cape really makes the figure. I've painted a few Dark Ages figures myself, and I really got into researching historical dye colors--what was common, what was rare, etc. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have several reenactor friends who have studied that subject extensively I try to keep what they have taught me in mind when painting though I don't stick to it religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What song is he singing? Hopefully not a rain song? We have enough of that!
    Great painted figure!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete