Tuesday 30 December 2014

From IanW - 20mm Soviet Infantry (152 Points)

Another post another new project ;-) Since joining Loki in Kev's Cabin I have been looking for something to paint up so as to be able to contribute. They as a group play Chain of Command in 20mm and don't have the Russians so I bought a couple of boxes of Revell Soviet Infantry The box contains 48 figures but four are useless and I have used six for a later submission so I have 38 infantry and a four piece MMG that went together perfectly.


With a fair amount of snow on everything I can not supply outdoor shots today so I am sorry for the quality of the pictures. 


I am also sorry about the quality of the figures as well. I thought I had got all the mould lines but once the primer was on it became obvious I missed loads Also some of the detail was very soft. I can see these troops being replaced in the future but will do OK for now and will hopefully get action at the Cabin and against Lee as well.


Love the MMG crew pulling the gun into position but could do with a crew firing it. I also have one standing LMG and one firing prone. I plan to add several more options including both the 50mm Mtr and 82mm Mtr ATR's and ATG's etc.


Three leaders and a poor shot of the female medic. The man pointing has a map and his helmet pushed back making him an interesting model.


I also got four snipers which are good looking figures with a three piece base that again went together well.


Last up the rifle armed element, not enough of these, especially as two of them are actually SMG armed so I will need more of these to get the numbers right. Actually I need to find out what I actually need and go from there. I won't need the whole of the second box but can see me painting up a chunk of them and binning the rest. You have have noticed I went with green rather than the typical yellow colour. I read that in reality they wore green and the yellow would be limited in number.

I had three T34's for Christmas from my Secret Santa so you can expect these in the next week or so. If I have this right I should have a base of 152 points but one is lying down which would count for half but the MMG may balance that?

From Curt:Great work Ian! I too love the pose of that MMG team hauling their Maxim forward - a brilliant little vignette. I also like the officer with the map, a wonderfully natural pose. I look forward to seeing your T34 platoon making its appearance in the coming weeks. What make are they? 

15 comments:

  1. They look grand, Ian! Truely enough to get you started! I never painted my massive Airfix, Atlantic, Esci, Revell troops. Many ages they covered. My son has them now and is happily assaulting domino forts held by Napoleonic French and WW2 Germans with Rev war British and Roman Legions! He'll be a fine wargamer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he zips past me into 5th place! Looks like I'll have to pull my finger out.

    It seems very much to be Russia Day.

    Cracking work Ian :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like David, I think you're doing yourself a great dis-service Ian. They look absolutely splendid and I'd certainly be extremely happy fielding such a force. As Curt points out some very nice little vignettes - the snipers being my fave. Great stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing more of these in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good considering what you were working with. I've heard good things about the Plastic Soldier Company 20mm stuff. Not a scale I have any of though. I'm looking forward to seeing your tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Another post another new project" Amen brother! :-)
    There's nothing like a Red Horde for bumping up the points. Welcome to the top table mate, you've arrived in grand fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am contemplating getting some WW2 Russians in the new year. Seeing yours I am edging closer. Keep up the fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice; this is a great painting work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More Rooskies. .grand start on them, some interesting figures in there as you say..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys, the tanks are PSC like the recent entry, see what I can do with them LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of Soviets this week. Nice work on them Ian. It seems that everybody has to make that proverbial Soviet officer with his pistol in the air. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I even have it on the Squad Leader expansion box, real cool image

      Ian

      Delete
  11. Nice work on the Revell Russians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, want some better castings next time

      Ian

      Delete
  12. 1/72 scale plastics are a whole different beast from 20mm miniatures, I've found. I'm not sure if the PSC plastics would fit, but Plastic Soldier Review is your friend if you want to use other 1/72 plastics to supplement this excellent force:

    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=1#SovietUnion-Infantry

    ReplyDelete