Painted these up in a day, bit like Pringle's once you pop you just can't stop. I was hard at it for quite a chunk of the day as I thought just one more stage. These are the newish Baccus open handed pikes so each and every one had to have a pike cut to size and glued in place.
The stars a little off but from a distance work OK for me. I plan on using these for Hail Caesar with a casualty marker to the rear. I really wanted the mass effect so the 60x60 base has a total of 97 figures!
Very clean sculpts with minimal cleaning, mostly just the shield fronts. I had considered going light on the painting of the lot in the middle but really glad I did not as the detail is not hidden. Saying this I went lighter than usual on the detail as the idea is group effect. I plan on painting up about ten blocks for the project and as such they will have hopefully have a presence as a group.
The pikes are made from bristles for yard brushes and are quite tough. If you look at the front of the block you will see them bent against the background. None were damaged and hands will be safe come game time. These little boys will get me 46.5 points
From Curt:Oh man, this is completely brilliant Ian! I just love the look of the mass of this unit - incredible. I have a similar project in the works but I am being glacially slow about it. You've really prompted me to get a wiggle on to get them done.
I've added a few extra points to reflect the extra work with the 97(!) pikes and packed-in basework. Wonderful!