Sunday 25 December 2022

From Curt: A Tribekka for 'Maximillian 1934' (43 points)

Vrooom! Vroom! Dakka... Dakka... Dakka.... 

Happy Holidays everyone! 

It's another Challenge, so in Curt's world that means that another new project (or two) has to be undertaken. Really, it's a disease and I need help.

This time, it's 'Maximillian 1934', a car racing game set in a post apocalyptic 1930s, and I thought a perfect candidate for the 'High Adventure Studio' location. 



I have to admit that 'Car Wars' and 'Gaslands' have not always scratched that itch, but I do love the vehicle designs of 1930s period, with their swooping, long-nosed cowlings, narrow spoked wheels and the whacky bauhaus aesthetic, so Maximillian 1934 really appealed to my lizard brain.

I have four cars and a few motorcycles from the range that I'm wanting to get done the Challenge. I figure they should be enough for a spirited race, with several varied vehicle designs for players to choose from. 

So, for my first effort, I present to you this sporty three-wheeled Tribekka. 

I gave it a forward facing water-cooled machine gun and a brace of linked Lewis guns on a rear-facing pintle mount. You know, 'cause these are obviously things you need on a vehicle. 

I built out a mahoosive engine for it and gave it big single, side-mounted exhaust pipe. As the game uses a template to move, and is a bit fiddly with arcs, I decided to base-up this guy and the others that will follow.

As I want the cars to be quite visible on the track, I sprayed it a bright yellow, reminding me of the 'Fun in the Sun' yellow we had on our sporty Ford Focus in our salad years.  

The Tribekka and the half figure driver should give me 23 points as a base, with another 20 for the 'High Adventure' studio location.

I hope to have a roadster up in a week or two. Wish me luck and thanks for dropping in for a look!

- Curt


42 comments:

  1. I suggest that your sickness for starting new projects is in fact a pandemic amongst our hobby community! It may also not surprise you to hear that I also have a big box of pristine Max 34 stuff patiently awaiting my attention...

    Thus I Love love love it this snazzy beast, from its thunderous engine to its bristling barrels to its sporty yellow colours. All I can say is bring on the next racers! Love the playing mat too- who makes that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about the Butterfly Project Syndrome, Paul. :) The mat is from Deep Cut Studio ('Gaslands'). I got it double sided with a starfield for my SW: Armada games (so handy).

      https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/game-mat-gaslands/

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that, I'll see how many bars of gold the shipping to Australia costs this month! :-) While I'm at it, maybe I'll go an unearth my box of Max34 gear...

      Delete
    3. Good man! I'd love to see some roadsters from you.

      Delete
  2. I love the aesthetic! And the bright yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barks! It's certainly not easy to miss.

      Delete
  3. Thats awesome, love the yellow and mud on the vehicle and the tracks on the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff! It was a lot of fun to work on.

      Delete
  4. Great entry again. The vehicle looks retro-futuristic 1930s indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Benito, it was a great decade for vehicle design.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work, please keep them coming, one or two more such as this will no doubt inspire me to join in the fun and dig my unpainted cars out of storage. Lovely bright colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I hope to have a few more done before the Challenge concludes, so I hope it helps to have you bring out yours to do.

      Delete
  6. Oh boy, can I relate to that itch! Very nicely done Curt, great eyecatching model. I’ll look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very cool entry here Curt! Love the colors and the styling of it, but the work to make the vehicle in general.. top notch all around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's got 3 wheels- surely the Way of The Future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, it's modern and weird, so it must be better.

      Delete
  9. Very colourful and sure this will inspire and tempt others to look at this game.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jezz! We'll see how the actual game plays - I'm just enjoying collecting and doing up the vehicles actually. :)

      Delete
  10. What a marvelous little motor. The bright yellow really suits the unique aesthetic. The lewis guns will help deter tailgaters I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. What I wouldn't give for a set of Lewis Guns on my commute...

      Delete
  11. Super looking jalopy - the yellow is inspired. Long arms and/or a happy-go-lucky attitude required to operate the rear facing weaponry. But I guess Health & Safety people isn't part of Maximillian 1934.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. In my mind's eye I imagine the pintle guns are for the straightaways, where the driver could quickly turn about for a rousing squeeze on the dakka (to give any tailgaters something to think about).

      Delete
  12. Great looking vehicle. I like the way the driver's hair is being blown back by the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick. Yes, the sculpts on these models are very characterful.

      Delete
  13. Living fast and dying young in style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! (With the aid of rockets, flamethrowers and heavy machineguns) :)

      Delete
  14. Great job Curt. Yellow is the worst colour to paint, but looks so awesome when it turns out, as it did in spades here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That little speeder looks splendid in yellow, Curt! I like the chrome trim on the fenders...have to look posh in the apocalypse! Beautiful little beastie with all the gubbins!. I driver is wonderful too as you painted him nicely, but he doesn't eclipse his ride at all. Nice work, Snow Lord!

    ReplyDelete