Saturday 28 February 2015

From SanderS - 20mm Grenouille au Vanille (96 Points)

Dear Ladies and Gents,

Even though my Hobby-butterfly-syndrome takes to almost all spectra of the miniature gaming universe, I always return to my greatest love: Napoleonics. Today's update brings you a French Infantry regiment and to me nothing is more boring than regular blue-coated French line infantry. I always compare them to the Ultramarines who are called "Vanille-Marines" in some circles of the 40K gaming scene since Vanilla is about the most default flavour one can imagine. To me, that's precisely what these Froggies are: Grenouilles au Vanille.


The miniatures are the HäT pre-1812 French line infantry from their "big box" issue. There are now newer and better proportioned versions in the works, but I still have loads of these lying on the pile.




I've done up the voltigeurs on separate bases in order to put them in front of the unit as skirmishers when required. The bases are Renedra bases and I like these a lot. You'll have noticed there's no colour fixed to the pole and that's because I can't decide whether to use a pre- or post 1812 pattern one. I know the uniforms are pre-Bardin but many regiments didn't receive their all-new kit promptly and had to wear out the old stocks. When I have decided the flags will be printed from the excellent warflag website.




So that's another unit finished and with this unit (worth 96 points) I am past my 1000 points target, if I am not mistaken. So after much deliberation I have decided to up the target one more time to 1300 points, but that will be it! I will not raise the bar a 4th time so it would be great if I'd be able to reach the 1300 points benchmark at the Challenges end but we'll have to see.

Cheers Sander

Modus Reg Magni Momenti! 


From Curt:

Ah, it's great to see more Napoleonics come out for a lick of paint, even if they are the plain ole dogface infantry. We can't begrudge them as they are the meat and potatoes of any French force and usually end up doing most of the heavy lifting (or dying) on the battlefield. 

You've done a great job on them Sander. A nice, man-sized battalion. (Arrr!) I like that you've given them a motley assortment of trousers to reinforce that these guys have seen some hard campaigning. That being said I also appreciate the extra time that you've obviously spent on the drummer's more colourful uniform. Well done. 

By the way, what rules are you using for these?

Finally, congratulations on reaching your second points target Sander! I'll mark you down for 1300 points for your final dash to the finish line. Good luck!

13 comments:

  1. Nice work Sander :)

    With the flags, why not print off both and glue/fold them around a greased wire? Once the glue is dried, you can slide them off and use whichever you want on the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, Tamsin, is a great idea! Will try that asap.

      Delete
  2. Nice figures and I like the normal rank and file troops that make up the bulk of an army. But then when it comes to ice-cream vanilla is my favourite flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In any other conflict I'd agree with you entirely: but French Regiments de ligne however are not my cuppa tea!

      Delete
  3. Vanilla or not these look great. I am guessing you have not painted up many Prussians if you think French are bad LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I have painted 7 Late Prussian regiments and I actually love painting them. The early war Prussians however are a bit tedious to do as well.

      Delete
  4. Spectacular submission, then again, my favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Sander! Diving deep into the forgotten recesses of the lead pile is what this Challenge was built for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a fine tradition it has become Anne!

      Delete
  6. BTW Curt, I base most of my historical units for Black Powder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work! Awesome to see more Napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Chasseur, I have at least two more Napoleonic entries planned. Whether I finish them in time is another matter altogether...

      Delete