Saturday 28 February 2015

From RichardC - It ain't half hot Mum! (12 Points)


I'€™ve finally get around to posting something for the challenge, and it was inspired by Curt himself. Once I'd decided on Napoleon and Ozymandias, I had some bits left over from the other two figures from the Brigade Games pack, and the obelisk from Element Games. I then saw Curt's (well deserved) 2nd place entry for the Hot bonus round, and was inspired to pick up my brushes. 




So here's my interpretation of that figure. I painted him as a General de Brigade (red sash, red panache and a blue and white plume). It was a really nice casting. I wish I could say the same for his camel – there was a really large mould-line which took ages to reduce (in fact it never totally disappeared).


As usual, the paints are Vallejo, brushes from Rosemary & Co, the base from the good folk at Warbases, and the sand from Tim Primrose's garage floor!!!




Here is a photo of yours truly on board a ship of the desert (albeit nearly 15 years ago). It'€™s a pity the French Army in Egypt didn't have colourful woolly muzzles for their camels like this chap as it would have made it even more fun to paint.




From Curt:

A wonderful vignette Richard! I really like the varied colours you've chosen for the saddlery and tack (if camel accoutrements are even called that) - my version seems frightfully pedestrian in comparison! :)

I had the same problems with the casting line running across the camel's body and blankets but you did a great job in cleaning it up. Also, the shading on the camel is excellent (I particularly like it's dusty muzzle). 

Mr. Primrose's sand was a great touch! If I could give one suggestion that would be to try some diluted brown inks mixed with a touch of thinned-down white glue in order to give the sand a 'wash' (an old eydropper works for this if the sand is unstable) - When I've done this I find it binds the surface texture together and gives the pale sand greater depth of colour.

I also really like the half-buried obelisk, though the inscribed pattern on it seems (disturbingly) more Cthulhuesque than Egyptian! The Old Ones are everywhere...

Lovely work Richard!

23 comments:

  1. Nice brushwork on that camel. I like the subtle use of colour on the obelisk as well.

    You rode a camel-seriously cool dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't look that cool while riding it. The closest feeling is akin to staggering home after three pints too many of the Black Stuff!

      Pip pip

      Delete
  2. Great entry, I really like the obelisk. Camels are cool they are easily the most uncomfortable animal in the world and definitely the most furious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers martin. My camel was pretty well natured, but I did think I was going to go over his head when he stopped and went down on his knees front-end first.

      Pip pip

      Delete
  3. A fine rendition.. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been on a camel in Egypt I can really relate to this vignette great stuff indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the prettiest of animals I think you'll agree.

      Pip pip

      Delete
  5. That is wonderful. Camel looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. There has been a distinct lack of camels in the challenge this year so it is good to see another one. I so much like the obelisk. Top work all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. Check out the Element Games website for bases - most is fantasy, so not really my bag, but some have great conversion potential http://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/bases-for-miniatures

      Pip pip

      Delete
  7. It really goes well together, you made a great job of it

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That' very kind of you to say so Ian.

      Pip pip

      Delete
  8. An excellent looking figure, love the obelisk as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. This and the Hot round entry were the first camels I've painted since the Airfix Arabs back in the 70s!!!

      Pip pip

      Delete
  9. Great job, I really like all the detail. For me the addition of the obelisk makes it greater than the sum of its parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Sean. Once I'd decided not to use the obelisk in the Hot round, I knew it would come in handy for something else.

      Pip pip

      Delete
  10. Really nice. The obelisk looks really mysterious. cheers

    ReplyDelete