Monday 2 March 2015

From BrianB - Martian Tripod (15 Points)


You can't have All Quiet on the Martian Front without the Martian Tripods. After working up my test color scheme earlier in the Challenge I finally got around to painting one up.


The plastic kit went together really well, although I had to hunt around for an assembly guide first to make sure I put together the central part of the body. The paint job went on pretty quickly and was done mostly with drybrushing with the largest brush I have. I again tried for a greenish blue metal for the main body and brass details. I think it actually works even better on the larger tripod. Unfortunately I just noticed that I forgot to put a coat of gloss varnish on the eye after I varnished him, so he's going to have to go back into the shop tonight for a touch up.


What I like the most about this model is that it simply towers over the regular troops. While the All Quiet line is big for 15mm being closer to 20mm the tripod stands about 7" tall. I guess in scale that would be about 50 feet tall. The Tommies down below look more than a little outmatched!




From Curt:

Wonderful work Brian! I really like your smooth work on the metallics, especially the green/blue hue the brass details. The posing is great as well, with one of the legs up, poised for a purposeful stride ahead - very dynamic. 

I agree with you that the choice to do this range in 15mm was brilliant as it allows the vehicles to be truly monstrous without being prohibitively expensive, taking up too much table space or being difficult to store. 

My only real criticism to the walkers' design is thier 'face'. I had mentioned this last year when Miles showed us a early release of the models. To me the face looks incredibly dorky: either it gives the impression of a melodramatic Eye of Sauron or it looks like this one, something akin to a clown's nose. I think the upper carapace would look so much better turned around, with a smooth featureless face facing forward - much more chilling I think. Saying this, I guess I should put my money where my mouth is and pick up a kit to try it out...

Nonetheless, with my hangups regarding Martian design esthetic aside, this is a great model. Well don Brian!

14 comments:

  1. Great paint job but I do agree with Curt that the model face looks like something from a kids cartoon, maybe a drunk Mr Magoo? Which is shame as the rest of the model loos really great with the creepy animated tentacles

    ReplyDelete
  2. your Tri-pod came out very nice. I'm not big fan of human models for this game (coal powered tanks bug me for some reason) but I do like the Martians. I have played several games and had a blast each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent painting Brian :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding! I really like the metallic effect you've achieved on the walker. I agree with Curt though on the face - it does look a bit like a clowns. Still, very impressive painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is magnificent! I'm gobsmacked and I want one really, really bad. Going shopping, see you later :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. It's a cool beastie with a very nice paint job. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color scheme and brushwork is excellent! The colors do lend it to being very alien! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the painting, it is carried out very well indeed. But like Curt I find the "Face" to be distracting at best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is huge and very well done, great metallic work

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great model and paint job. I really like the wider shots that give a sense of scale with the terrain, tank and figures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I have to agree that the head design is not the most sinister I've seen for tripods. Combined with the smooth curves to the design and the little manipulator arms it does give a bit of a cartoon feel, but I do think it also gives a sort of retro-futuristic vibe to the model. I never really noticed the "clown nose" but now I can't help but see it, lol. Maybe on my other two I'll try to recess the eye into the face plate instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That or just run with it and give them pancake makeup and oversized shoes. Now, clowns, those guys can be scarey!! ;)

      Delete
  12. Is there anything that you don't have hanguls about Curt? ;-)

    Great Martian Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, my own sense of esthetic and good taste? ;oP

      Delete