Friday 8 January 2016

From DavidB - Catachan Green Everywhere! 28mm Catachans (160 points)



So, I finally have gotten some stuff done in my usual OCD/ ADD manner. Family, holidays and work to include military did give a few obstacles. The above slanted pic is from early December near Challenge start. It is shocking not for the lack of snow and cold, but because I was actually sent into the woods with a truck. They NEVER gave me a truck before! You would not believe how hard it was to stuff that truck in my ruck, I had to leave behind a few shirts just to get it to fit!


I totally miffed the Nostalgia Round and no doubt will totally miss a few more too! So I put a bit of nostalgia in the background. Above are my Elite Catachan Devils squad. As an elite hard bitten veteran unit, they are allowed up to three special weapon troops, as well as shotguns, auto guns, pistols, and close combat weapons instead of or in addition to their lasguns. A loaded for bear unit, they are also allowed a veteran Lt. Off to the right you will see Lt Maddog Millsy who has a power fist and plasma pistol, for reasons unknown he also carries a vortex grenade. ( okay, I got that really neat half sphere template, and it would be a shame not to use it!)


The Catachan Devils are joined by another elite taking the moniker Dead Men. They are an assault team equipped with shotguns, two demo packs, a plasma gun and heavy flamer. The veteran SGT has a power sword and bolt pistol.

Catachan deathworld vet armies have a weapon skill of 4 which means these fellows will have more fun in melee than your typical guard squad.


Death world Vets are allowed a squad of Ogryns as a troop choice, so I rummaged up 5 to serve them in that capacity.


The bonehead SGT is an old RT sculpt and has been dubbed " FrrrRRRRrrrpp" after the Ogryn fondness of gaseous bodily functions. I think it is this, their raucous laughter, and lack of hygiene which is why they cannot sneak, ambush, and infiltrate like the Catachans do.


Still, at 5 strong they will last a bit unless Lt Maddog Millsy gets a little too happy with that vortex grenade!


I also completed this four man recon team of Sequoia Indian scouts. They were assembled from Defiance Games marines and Wargames factory Woodland Indians. Apparently the 1st Nation plastics are now unavailable as Warlord bought them up and are retooling the whole line. But for $260 you can get 8 of em plus all sorts of British and Americans in Warlord Games latest big box set...my wife said "No" but used way more words. ;)


I assembled from the left: A point man, a marksman, a Sgt, and a scout. They are well equipped with cutlery and the scout also sports a warclub. I used my usual method of painting and highlighting all the flesh areas first -5 layers. The war paint was all inks and washes except for the white which was sparingly thinned. The inks and washes just seem more natural to me and give a bit of stained translucency to the warpaint.


I included this to show why the plastic Catachans are so hated on the left is a plastic trooper who's arms are just random slabs of bulges with no clear understanding of anatomy, The Ogryn clearly is a deformed Mutant, but he has solid musculature. The woodland Indian and the Necromunda ganger are really fine in muscle tone and believable. Lt Millsy is showing that the newer plastics of heavy weapon teams and command squads have finally restored anatomy back to the realm of reasonable.

The metal Catachan sculpts are still better though.



This lot is a gang painted in the 90's...lookit all the orange guns! They are the Orlock Sump Snakes and will eventually get repainted to join the Catachan Grass Snakes. I included them as the unpainted roster are filling up the squads of the deathworld veterans and the commander of the force is the former leader of the Sump Snakes. He has the big power fist and bolter and is standing front left.


I stopped painting them last century as I really hated the arms on the plastic troops, but the Perry sculpts are not getting cheaper and its a crying shame to leave them unused in a box. Millsy also gets kudos for inspiring me to get them out after all his great Catachan entries and work post challenge season.

Well David, I have to make a bit of a confession - I have always despised the Catachan figures, but here you have done a wonderful job painting them and giving them character - work the on the faces of the one vet squad in particular totally fits the part.  The old-school Rogue Trader-era Ogryns are marvellous, and the conversions with the woodland scouts are very, very well done.
$260 bucks for a few figures? That sounds like a bargain compared to Forge World...take it from a guy who does communications for a living - it's all about the context...
I usually find the Catachans to be tired and terrible, but you and Millsy make them fun and entertaining.  Shows what a cranky cynic like me knows - nothing! Great work!  I can imagine them stalking the enemies of the Imperium (or just some guys who tried to rip them off at cards) with blades and a handy vortex grenade, literally ready for anything...

Those Ogryns are big fellas, so we'll give a few extra points for those lads.  On the whole, 160 points - well done sir!!

30 comments:

  1. "Lt Maddog Millsy gets a little too happy with that vortex grenade"
    Is that a euphemism? I certainly hope not!

    I suppose I should be flattered at all this attention... Perhaps I should start charging for image rights Curt? :-)

    Silliness aside, that's a simply cracking entry David. I normally despise the plastic 'Chans but these really do look wonderful. initially I wasn't sure they were plastic which says how well they're done. I think I spotted an Orlock ganger or two mixed in which is a nice touch too. The best of it all is certainly the RT ogryns though. I've been manfully resisting them myself but I'm wavering.

    PS. Keep your eyes peeled mate. I've got a slightly smaller Catachan entry on the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No whipping boy intended, Millsy. Think of it as a nod since you got me off my duff to get em started! I still have the dog-eared copy of the jungle fighter add on lists. I'm finally checking off the units I've had highlighted for so long. The primer on these fellows has aged to perfection.
      I have two platoons one plastic one metal, the snipers weapon team, sentinels, and command squad on the docket yet. A few more Necromundia and RT troops too! ;)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! You've got old and new, you've got cool conversions and an overall great concept. I think the guys who look like Slipknot fans, or professional wrestlers, are my favorites. The guy with the war club is pretty boss though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dead Men do have a luchador vibe to them! It does draw attention from the two Las cannon loaders that are proxies for the demo charged fighters.
      More coming too, I have to distinguish the fast attack recon squads from the troop platoons and still keep the red bandanas, gonna have to be cunning in t-shirt color, camouflage, and warpaint!

      Delete
  3. Ogryns have always been a personal favourite of mine "blessed is the mind too small for doubt". As with the others, I've never been a fan of the plastic catachans (did the Perrys really sculpt them?!?!?) but you work on them is excellent and the skulls on the vets are ace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie!
      I am a fan of the Ogryns and the jungle fighters are the best place for them! I'm not certain who is responsible, but the basic plastic troopers of Jungle fighters is the absolute worse kit they have ever released. They should've kept it back and figured it out first. The newer HW and command squads are the better kits.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray! I'm still figuring out a homage for you and Fran as you two are ultimately responsible for me being on the Web anyhoo! ;)

      Delete
  5. Is it Catachan Day here at the Challenge? They're comin' outta the walls, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting cold out...they gotta get in somehow! ;)

      Delete
  6. The woodland Indians catachans are a triumph! Everything is good but for me they stand out as being so utterly characterful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clint! They were made from my leftovers from the one box of Natives I put together. I've got two more boxes to build, but more on them later! ;)

      Delete
  7. I love the Ogryns and the warpaint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poor Ogryn have been primed and unpainted far longer than the catachans, I'm glad they got out now. More Catachans inbound and more warpaint too! ;)

      Delete
  8. David
    I don't Catachans from Canolis but these look like great figures. I really like the Woodland Indian conversions. Plus you've got a lock on the "dude looks like his army award".
    Cheers PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter!
      Catachans...Just think Rambo meets Gurkha and trains in Australian wetlands. You should see my Sgt! He's Abenaki and Ojibwa he carries more knifes than I and is a lot bigger!

      Delete
  9. Very well done! Catachans always were a favourite of mine and you've really managed to bring them to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Moiterei! More inbound, I plan to wrap this army up this challenge.

      Delete
  10. I'm with Curt, you've really brought these to life. And those scouts are excellent - an idea worth pinching.

    Nice truck too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was messing around with the excess pieces to see what I could do, the bits match up to Perry and Bolt Action stuff pretty well too.

      Delete
  11. Fantastically characterful squads there. I love the indian scouts; that is a fantastic idea with brilliant execution. A whole force of those would look stunning, if rather expensive at $260 for 8 heads ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I already have a few boxes of them as it was one of the kits I was most looking forward to of 2015. Still look at all the British and American troops you get for Free! ;)
      I will be making more 1st Nation troops in all sorts of genres now!

      Delete
    2. I love your definition of free ;)

      Delete
    3. I love your definition of free ;)

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, what an entry! Fabulous job David.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Michael! I've just set aside my brushes for the night and am chuffed that I'm almost 1/2 way through them. They are to get baptized in fire by challenge end too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought I'd like Catachans, but this entry has turned me around! ;)

    Great work on the scouts and the Dead Men, in particular.

    ReplyDelete