Tuesday 27 December 2016

From AlanD - Freikorps 1918-1920 (145 Points)



Following on from my Spartacists for the German Revolution, here are 29 Freikorps figures to ruthlessly suppress them. Figures are from Great War Miniatures, and I thoroughly enjoyed painting them. The details on some figures aren't really right for Berlin in 1918-1920 (there shouldn't be any gas masks, for a start), but the figures with grenade bags and entrenching tools really look the biz. And I did carve the gas mask containers off some of the figures before cutting my thumb and giving up.



Just for the eye candy, I have included a wonderfully ugly Ehrhardt EV/4 armoured car, but this was painted before the Challenge.



So that's 29 figures and 145 points, and about 1/6 of the way to my absurdly optimistic target. 

_______________________

Fabulous work Dux! The late war Germans form Great War Miniatures look great in this role. You did a great job freehanding the ghoulish skull and crossbones on their coal scuttle helmets. Sorry to hear about your thumb, but it was in service of your muse so hopefully it heals up well. Love the Ehrhardt! If anyone else wants one of these I suggest you go over to Alf at Barrage Miniatures - he has a wonderful casting of this brute.

Historically footnote: In a perverse way it's too bad the German revolutionaries didn't have better success in whittling down the Freikorps before they were stamped out. Several members of the Freikorps (Röhm, Himmler and Höß to name a few) became some of the most heinous personalities of the soon-to-emerge Nazi party.

20 comments:

  1. These look fabulous. I hope to see some battle scenes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, lovely work following in your Weimar Republic theme. Excellent choice and top shelf stuff. Love that armoured car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More posters on the bases and they look just as good. very well done that man. very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. more great work from you, also love your dramatic photography

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo's are indeed very very good! But they wouldn't have been so great if the figures would not be so good as well, great stuff and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nasty looking freikorps, lovely paint job on them and I'm glad you included the beastly armoured car!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Alan! A very interesting project as well. Never seen anyone game or paint this era before

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive one of my favorite entries so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice work! I particularly like the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More great (and interesting) work will we get more on this project?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want a cast of civilians, and I would love some Berlin police, but I'm having trouble finding suitable figurea.

      Delete
    2. I really want a cast of civilians, and I would love some Berlin police, but I'm having trouble finding suitable figurea.

      Delete
  11. Very well done! Especially the Erhardt has captured my eye and I'm seriously thinking about some way to press it into service for SCW now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tough looking Friekorps Alan. Love the grinning skull on the AC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb stuff, and I do like the car!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The do look the business, Dux! Thanks for including the eye candy too!I can almost hear the coughing and sputtering rumble! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super work, Dux! A great submission for a really interesting period. I completely sympathise with the difficulty of cutting away all the gas-mask cases. But don't worry, no-one would ever notice! Lovely painting, and those helmets are wonderfully dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these! The torn-up posters are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete