Tuesday 27 December 2016

From SimonM - "Heroclix" Charcoal (7 Points)

"Put me down... So I can reform myself..."
This 28mm pre-painted plastic model of Charcoal is by “Wizkids” and can be bought as number 089 from their Marvel “Heroclix” Sinister range. Created to be a "Marvel Worldwide" comic book antagonist by Wallace and Kroja Frost, as part of a Wizard magazine "Create-A-Villain" contest, Charcoal would actually go on and join the Thunderbolts super-team, having initially been their enemy. The Burning Man made his first appearance in the November 1998 issue of "Thunderbolts", and was subsequently "killed in battle with Graviton" after the competition winner attempted to legally claim the copyright of the character from Marvel. 
Charcoal WIPS - From Initial wash and dry-brush, through to his diamond growths being picked out
Initially undercoated with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal so as to eradicate the 44mm tall figure's disagreeable pre-paint, Charles Burlingame's alter-ego was washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and subsequently dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal. I then 'picked out his rock-hard diamond growths using a combination of "Vallejo" White and "Citadel" Asurmen Blue. Finally his eyes were painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.

Charcoal as seen in the "Marvel Worldwide" comic books


_______________________________________

Great to have you with us again this year Simon. I always enjoy your posts as I learn so much about comic book lore. 

I see you are still toiling away, perfecting your 'Black Period' paint style. :) I find these constants in life to be calming and reassuring, so I thank you. I'm definitely going to have to pick up a bottle of that 'Heavy Charcoal' as, we see here, it provides a wonderful highlight to black. I also like how the black and charcoal is contrasted against his blue diamond bits. A very striking figure.

I'm going to assume that Charcoal is on the heroic side of 28mm so I'll score him as a 40mm. Great job and welcome back Simon!

30 comments:

  1. great first entry and I too will be looking for the Heavy Charcoal bottle as highlighting black always a tough one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal is definitely a vital paint in my arsenal :-)

      Delete
  2. Interesting character and quite well painted, good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always like to see your Heroclix figures. I too will add Heavy Charcoal to my paints list, got to go shopping in a week or two

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black is a tough color to get looking right. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rod. This model simply needed a neat paint-job, as the sculpt did all the work.

      Delete
  5. Charcoal is the new black! Well done on this fig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Nice to get a few points on the table with so straightforward a paint-job.

      Delete
  6. Noice! Hard to get black right, but this is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Evan. The "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal did all the work :-)

      Delete
    2. Think I might have to grab some!

      Delete
    3. I certainly recommend it :-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. A pleasure painting it in your virtual presence Mr Docherty ;-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely to see you working your black magic once again for your initial entry Simon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin. These straightforward paint-jobs will hopefully buy me time to spend on some of the more time-consuming minis I have on the tabletop ;-)

      Delete
  9. You pulled off the black really well. It's something I'm still struggling with so it's nice to see it done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AHunt. It really is as simple as dry-brushing the model with more "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal after washing a base-coat with "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

      Delete
  10. Nice one Simon. And great to see you on the score board before new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I have a few more to post before the New Year - I hope! But as you say, it's nice to get on the board early(ish).

      Delete
  11. What do you know? I had not heard about this character before now, we live and learn each and every day right? Great mini at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. I always like to give a bit detail about my 'supers' when I post them up :-)

      Delete
  12. Nice work Simon. I'm going to have to grab some heavy charcoal. It seems to be spot on as a black highlight, something I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. 'Tis a very useful paint imho.

      Delete
  13. I rarely use black anymore, a dark grey and black wash is nicer as you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice,Simon!
    He obviously appeared after my comic book reading days, but two of my kids have been bitten, so maybe I'll read a few more! ;)
    My favorite dry brush or mid tone to black is P3 Coal Black looks black but is a very dusky blue. It helps make cold blacks and takes washes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. I can certainly recommend some good comics if you want ;-) I've not tried any of the P3 paints as they're hard to find around here. But I do plan to pick some colours up at "Salute", so I'll have a look for Coal Black.

      Delete