Tuesday 27 December 2016

From KyleC: Bloodbowl Averland Avengers! (66 Points)


So last week I hit the painting hard with some easy to do pieces that took no time at all to get done. Mostly cause they were full RnF, or were for someone else that wanted cheap, dirty and done.

But then I started in on these guys.. and knowing that they are for me, and for the upcoming league, and also knowing that I would be facing off against some other great painters perhaps in 2017.. I needed to step up my game and do a much better paint job!

So some research was made on some likely colors that could be used for it. I had a few in mind; Dallas Cowboys.. Oakland Raiders.. and then it hit me.. the flashiest team out there.. the Miami Dolphins! Mostly cause I wanted to paint Orange for some reason, and they are the only team to have Orange. And this was decided before the rest of the Canuckalheads here suggested their local teams in the Prairies ( wish I had waited.. a Green team could have been interesting! ).


I had done one test model first, and then jumped into the batch painting. But I can say that it was a slog to get through this batch of models knowing that I needed to be doing a better job with them than I normally would do for gaming pieces. And there are still a few places I probably wouldn't mind going over and fixing, but for now they are considered finished.


I did not see any number transfers in the box ( though to be fair I haven't looked too closely after taking the models out ) so I am not sure if there are any to go with them to make it easier. But as it was I wanted to do all the team and number markings myself on them as a challenge to see if I could do it. I think for the most part they came out OK. I realised at parts that I was too thick or heavy handed for them, but overall I got through them. Same with the lines on the pads. Some are thicker than others, but overall the effect sits well on them.


I tried to make the back portions of them look the best, and clearly visible for numbers as I suspect that is what I will see more of.

The line markings on the grass were a last minute thinking idea.. not sure they fully work, but they do well for now. I am in-between if they should have a bit more to the bases or not. Maybe grass clumps, dirt, or even some blood? I know Roman did a short tutorial on his he did his for a showcase version of a Skaven, but not sure how well that would translate for gaming figures that will get a lot of punishment over the coming calendar year!

So yeah.. 12 models that are in a more heroic 28mm scale.. and a lot of Bolt Action models to be tackled now. Which means hopefully a huge sandbag worth of points to come! And another army or 2 ready for the new BA season to come! Some of which you can see in the background of the above photos!

_____________________________________

Fabulous stuff Kyle! Miami Dolphins, eh? Well, the blue and orange you used really makes these guys look terrific, and the hand-painted numbers are ace. I'm also taken by the diffused field markings on the grass bases - very, very nice touch (I say leave them as-is). 

66 points to you, sir (including a bit extra for the team numbering)!
 


35 comments:

  1. As a Cheese head you have picked the wrong team! Which of course means you may have to repaint these. Which is a shame as they are very well painted. You just picked the wrong colours! Still they would make good opponents.

    Nice one Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am more of an Oakland Raider or Dallas Cowboy fan.. but wanted to try new colors that I don't normally paint up. Hence the dolphin colors here. Otherwise.. probably something a lot less interesting. The Orks might go Raiders so I can try more black/white colors and checker patterns on them. Will see...

      Delete
    2. Don't listen to Clint! Czonka, Marino and the Dolphins all the way! ;)

      Delete
  2. great work i am just prepping these now for later painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your version of them then!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh great, more BB madness! I have never played the game but it looks so much fun! If only I had more gamers near here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good game all the same. I have even picked up the PS4 version of it to get a bit more practice prior to playing in the clubs campaign!

      Delete
  4. What a striking paint job! I really like these chaps and well done on pushing yourself on the quality as they've turned out great, really retro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! Never thought of them as retro, but now looking at them I can see what you mean. Curious if I can do the same to the Orks then!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I've got these guys backed up somewhere in my queue too. Such a great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great game indeed, and looking forward to your take on the models also!

      Delete
  6. Top-notch work Kyle, especially the freehand on the numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. They were a bit of a PITA to get done.. but am happy to do them all the same.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful painting. I thought the numbers were decals at first sight, really well done - I'm just working on my Skaven team at the moment

    Oh course they would look much better as New Orleans Saints...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo you humble me in that comment.. but I wish they were decals as it would have been a lot faster to get them finished :) But not nearly as satisfying of course.

      And glad to see that everyone has their favourite team to put forward ;) Though can't say I am a huge Saints fan :D

      Delete
  8. Great work on the Kyle! There should have been some decals with the minis. But your hand painted numbers look really good as well! Very tidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just never got too far into the box after finding the models :) Haven't even re-read the new rule changes.. just dug in really, but probably should have had a look in there then :D Oh well.. lessons learned :D

      Delete
  9. Nice Job. I'm pretty sure the Cleveland Browns also have orange uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were more orange were they not? And brown as well as a counter color?

      Delete
    2. That might be a cool color scheme for the Orks then... mmmm will have to think on how to make this work :D

      Delete
  10. They look great! If it helps I noticed the line markings on the grass immediately and they worked perfectly (gives that impression of being sprayed on, but not too thickly). Color scheme really turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great - very nice work

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving the BloodBowl love, these are great

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to see a revival of it, and I hope to see GW support it more than just the starter box.. and we begin to see a real collection of different teams appearing soon!

      Delete
  13. Cracking work Kyle. Love the tone of the blue and the hand painted numbers are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers.. the blue tones are a bit better in person, but still came out ok on the photos I guess.

      Delete
  14. I've been a dolphin fan for a long time, and these fellows do look the part, hopefully they will have a better season too! ;)

    ReplyDelete