Tuesday 17 January 2017

From JamesL: Tractors true love and friends, and something completely different (187 points)

I've recently had a few days off work which has enabled me to get some good headway in the painting queue. This time around I present the Tractors True Love, the 88mm Flak/ATG from Warlord Games, that will be towed by the Sdkfz 7 I presented previously, and 21 infantry that make up my Bolt Action (and Chain of Command) army. And for something completely different, I've also included 7 of the 35mm scale Jokers Crew from the Knights Models range for their Batman Miniatures game.




The gun is 28mm scale with 6 crew, painted with predominantly Vallejo paints and Army Painter wash. I went for a grey scheme rather than Dunkelgelb (yellow) as I wanted it to blend in a little better with the field grey infantry that will make up the rest of my force.






The infantry, all Warlord figures from their excellent German Grenadiers box, comprise 3 squads, two Heer infantry and one Waffen SS in Oak Leaf camo. This was my first crack at painting Oak Leaf, or any SS camo scheme for that matter and I'm fairly pleased with the results.

5 Strafbattalion (Penal Unit) and Leutnant


8 Heer Grenadiers 

8 Waffen SS in Oak Leaf 

The Joker Crew is a real departure for me, both for being 35mm and the genre. I mainly paint historical or fantasy, so painting a guy in a giant Panda suit holding an assault rifle provided endless amusement. The BMG itself is a surprisingly tactical game, and although I'm not usually a DC comics fan I have enjoyed using these guys in their first outing the other night. 

Joker,Harley Quinn and the Cosplay Crew...Pandas with assault rifles,what's not to love ?! 

The Eyeball guy gets a bonus if he focuses fire on a single target...given he only has one eye and all.....

I'll leave it to the minions to decide the points value of 35mm figures :-), but this is 27 figs at 28mm, a 28mm arty piece and 7 at 35mm.

Alan And Paul: A panda with an assault rifle? That's taking Open Carry to surreal new levels (although Open Carry is pretty surreal already). But I do support the right to arm bears (thank you!) I worry a bit about the eyeball guy's depth perception... Nice entry James! The tooled up cosplay crew is cool, but the 88 is my favourite. An impressive looking beast, and I love the basing. I've given the cosplayers 6 points each to reflect the larger scale. 

21 comments:

  1. Ooh, that 88 looks fantastic but the angry Panda is tops. We need closer shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I'll try and add more tonight :-)

      Delete
  2. This is what we mean when we use the word 'eclectic'. Amazing stuff, James, and some real gems in the mix (panda guy being the standout!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan, I'm beginning to think eclectic may be my middle name :-)

      Delete
  3. Right to arm bears ... I see what you did there. Definite pandemonium being unleashed there.
    Like Curt I wish there were so closeups so we can admire your oak leaf camo, but what I can see looks good, especially that big 88. That will give some tankers the cold sweats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I'll be doing some more camo soon, will ensure better pics !

      Delete
  4. I need to get that panda with the assault rifle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment it has only been released with the Suicide Squad starter box, but check eBay :-)

      Delete
  5. Great and varried post. The 88 is very well fine, but. Panda and giant eyeball dude trump everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work and what a mix

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a mix you have there James!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice stuff , the 88 is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone, the 88 and his friends get their first event next weekend, I'll let you all know how it goes..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work James. That Panda cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great work love the 88 and the Jocker crew are quirky

    ReplyDelete