Tuesday 17 January 2017

From AnthonyO - Russian Helicopters and more Fallschirmjäger (40 Points)

This week has seen a rather token submission by myself in comparison to the rest of the challenge for two reasons. First I have been working long days in the hot Australian sun and this leads to being really tired of an evening and secondly I am working hard on the next themed challenge. Being pretty advanced along so far points wise I feel that I can spend considerably more time with the themes and do less grind work.

Battlefront MI-24 Hind Helicopters in 1:100 scale - 20 points

These two Hinds have been in the box for the last few months as I found myself playing my Americans in Team Yankee more often than not so they kept being put aside. With some new enthusiasm I put them together, grinding my teeth along the way at the poor design of the blades, and set to painting them. Apart from the blades this is a fantastic plastic kit and takes the paint really well.


I had already painting two so these guys were just adding to my air-mobile ability and strike power and tried to keep to the original paint scheme rather than try something new. These helicopters are so iconic and as I was born in the 70's formed a big part of the bad guys in my adventures growing up. These guys are massive and I have shown a 15mm T72 for scale. For this reason I have requested they be scored at 10 points each (Or whatever you guys decide).


Artizan Miniatures Fallschirmjäger - 28mm - 20 points

I love Artizan Miniatures, they are my go to company for metal 28mm WW2 soldiers and I cant get enough of them. These four were painted just to finish a project and now they are done I can move onto other WW2 projects.



As I said a meager offering to the painting Gods this week but hopefully they will look kindly on me when they see the effort I am gong for the themed round.

Alan and Paul: Lovely stuff Patch! Like you, I grew up with Hinds as an iconic part of the Cold War background, and you have really done a fantastic job on those beasts. Great to see some more Fallschirmjaeger as well, and you have really brought out the character of those lovely Artizan Designs figures. Having just been wrestling with it myself, I applaud the job you have done on their camo! 40 points to you.

PS - Hands up all those who have sat in a Hind Gunship's cockpit? A rather excellent experience :-)

27 comments:

  1. Great looking Hinds - I've got two from the same box set which will make an appearance in the "East" bonus round. Sadly, my Hinds are nowhere near as good as yours.

    The FJ's are also very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parachutists look very good Artizan make some of my favourite figures.

    The Hinds are also very nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lovely choppers... really look the part

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work on both. I've always been very fond of the Artizan WWII figs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those choppers look fantastic - great work.

    And more paras...very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. The German assault team I painted last year as part of my Painting Challenge project too, great models that mix realtively well with my core forces from Warlord

    ReplyDelete
  7. "get to the choppa!" I'll get me coat...

    Those choppers look truly awesome, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a spectacular entry! I've always liked the design of the Hinds - they seem so predatory. Have you thought of using acrylic discs for the rotors? I picked up some for my Vietnam project and hope they give a better sense of movement. And I totally agree about the Artizan range. They are brilliant sculpts and great fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and congratulations on hitting your initial points target. Well done!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Curt and yes some of my friends have invested in those rotary discs but have not received them yet. I am pretty interested to see how they look in person before I jump in.

      Delete
  9. OMG these are nice! The Hinds have the look. I remember facing them a lot playing WW3 microarmour in the 1980s, every NATO player got the jitters seeing them come on the table. Odd, because we never gave the same respect to NATO rotary stuff, which turned out in the first Gulf War to be so deadly.
    Love the paras, especially the guy on the far right who appears to be grumbling under his load.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking bug eyed hinds and very nice german paras, is it me or does there seem to be a lot of them around?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two very different but excellent paint jobs, the Hinds are particularly nice. Strange how all the 80s stuff is now coming back in vogue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I say, splendid looking choppers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great looking stuff all-round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. Hinds...yep...iconic. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking whirlybirds! Love the paras too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe a small entry but packed with quality

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for your great comments, it is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely Hinds! Excellent work on the camo pattern on them, very clean job. I also really like the window effects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really like these FJ's and mate, I know how hard it is to pull off that darn splinter camo. Your Hinds really are the icing on the cake to me.

    ReplyDelete