Thursday 16 March 2017

From Michael P: Riders of Rohan (80 points)


To show faithful Thursday minion Dave some final love, here are seven plastic Games Workshop Riders of Rohan, led by Eomer, as one of my final two Thursday entries.





When GW launched its LOTR line around 2006, my teenage son and I gamed with these models quite a bit, but they were very hastily painted and over half of them were still mostly in their white primer, and then gathered dust for almost a decade as my son lost interest. Since my LOTR gaming has picked up again, I decided to use this Challenge to give them a 100% new paint and basing job.

Horse archers.  Mmmmm..  In Dragon Rampant these are my favourite troops: Heavy Riders with Bows.  Very useful.



Forth, Eorlingas!  All of these are plastic except for Eomer.  The LOTR line of figures is mostly still for sale and you can find them if you dig around on the GW website.  However, all the personality figures like Eomer are now resin, and sometimes not that well cast, though the pricing hasn't come down, strangely enough.  While I would like some more mounted Rohirrim, I think I will source them elsewhere.  The Footsore Miniatures line of Goth cavalry would do nicely, I think.


These eight 28mm mounted figures should net me 80 points.



The only thing I like almost as much as Star Wars is LotR! These are exceedingly well done, Padre! I really like Eomer and it makes me glad(somewhat) that i can still get  him from GW as the Ebay prices do get quite hefty! It is a shame that GW didn't reduce the price a smidge, but I know I can raise the dosh for models I like... like Lurtz!  I quite like the basing on these fellows and and the spot colors on the shields and horse tack. Now you need to  ride some Urks down! ;)






9 comments:

  1. Wonderful work Michael. I really like that these are re-loved miniatures from your son's teenage years. You've done a brilliant job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Padre! I agree that once the kids move out, parents get salvage rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done Padre! Really like the bright colours and the environmentally friendly hobby recycling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely retread riders, they have come out very well indeed.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting work Mike. Rohan is my favourite faction of LOTR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Riders of Rohan - they are favourites from the movie. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff, I love my Rohirrim. Stirring theme music as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all, very kind. Who wouldn't ride with the Rohirrim!

    ReplyDelete