Friday 2 February 2018

From SidneyR: The Count of Bucquoy's Horse, and field gun, 1688 (98 points)


My sixth submission for the challenge is the second half of the Flemish regiment of Horse of the Count of Bucquoy. They follow hard on the hooves and spurs of the first half of the regiment which I submitted two weeks ago (with apologies for missing a submission last week). They will be joining my Flemish, Spanish and German army from 1688, focused around the fictional town of Laarden in the Spanish Netherlands, but leaning on history for the uniform and flags of the units concerned.



The figures in this submission are all 25mm Wargames Foundry from their Marlburian range, including the horses. They’re painted in Vallejo and the bases are by Warbases (in 3mm laser cut MDF). To save a little time, I added the flag from "Flags of War", and the finial is from Bicorne Miniatures. There’s very little conversion work on these cavalry, although the feathers are almost all added with green-stuff.

I've shown the new cavalry together with their front rank comrades in arms, below, ready to take the field with the Lorrainer and German Horse (up next on the painting table).





The Flemish Horse are joined by a large field artillery piece from the small but potent arsenal of the Citadel of Laarden. The figures were intended to be part of a 'BFG' themed round submission, but sadly real-life intervened and I didn't come close to finishing it in time (well done and huge respect to everyone who entered, and again to the winners!). Yes, fellow Challengers, there is a lesson here. I should make my themed round submissions a bit more personally manageable!!



The figures around the Wargames Foundry cannon are from Dixon's 'Grand Alliance' range, with Wargames Foundry matross helping out. I’ve been experimenting with a slightly lighter tone shade for the ground base (inspired by fellow Challenger, Benito - Anibal Invictus, from his blog). For years, I've simply painted the ground work (a mixture of 'Polyfilla' filler, gravel and sand) with a very flat matt Humbrol Black (33). 

This time, I’ve used Flat matt Humbrol Brown (110) and shaded up from there using Vallejo Beige Brown, Vallejo Khaki and Vallejo Stone Grey. I think this produces a brighter base tone which I think works with the gun carriage and figures. The tufts are from WWS and Warbases, inspired by the great figure bases created by another of our fellow Challengers, ChristopherS (Axebreaker). Huge thanks to both Benito and Christopher for their inspiration and encouragement over the years!


I’ve also tried painting the artillery base in a variety of very Flemish and Spanish browns, beige and buff. The inspiration behind this has been the wonderful book "Painting Wargame Figures" by Javier Gomez ("El Mercenario"). Javier dedicates a chapter in his book to the colour brown. This does not sound exciting, but honestly, it really is! Brown is one of those paint colours which can be really varied, and which is perfect or adding colour and tone in a 17th century army. Javier's painting was very much the inspiration behind what I was trying to do here.  Thanks, Javier!


I like the contrast in the browns and their tones, which I think are brought out by a lighter base, and which I am hoping should look good against the more grey-themed French on the field of battle. I'm hoping to try and replicate this is some future submissions. The main colours used were Vallejo Beige Brown, Flat Brown, Light Brown, Burnt Umber, Chocolate Brown, Khaki, Stone Grey, Orange and Deck Tan - all from around the same place on a colour wheel.

As to points, there are 6 new Flemish Horse (60 points), and the cannon and crew should add another 35 points (5 crew at 5 points, and the gun at 10 points).  

_____________________________________________

Another beautiful addition to the Laarden collection, Sidney. I always enjoy your posts as it's clearly evident that each of your units is carefully considered and finely crafted.  The second half of your Flemish horse regiment is a excellent as the first and that artillery piece is wonderful. I think your new basing recipe is a winner, with it setting a stage for the miniatures without being too overpowering. (Note to self: I really need to get a copy of 'El Mercenario's' book.)

With a little extra for the banner, basing and feathers, here are 98 well-earned points for you sir. Thank you for treating us to another colourful chapter in your Laarden adventure Sidney!

_______________________________________________

33 comments:

  1. You are like a Renaissance artist señor Roundwood. I strongly endorse Javier's book, an excellent work and quite helpful. I'm using extensively the chapter on horses painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Benito - very kind. It is a really useful book, and something which is really fun to dip into from time to time.

      Delete
  2. Just incredible as always - a treat to see the photos and read the entry. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More gorgeous additions to the Laarden project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Sid, this immensely cool! The colours are just splendid and the Banners are top notch as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander - really glad you like the standard!

      Delete
  5. More fabulous Laarden goodness! Great cavalry and lovely artillery! I have to agree painting 17th century cavalry involves a big range of browns!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one spectacular artillery piece - though I had to look up the term 'matross'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Evan! I don't know where I dredged that word from, but I think it fits!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and sophisticated era of the Sun King. And stunningly beautiful figures emerged from the brush master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an interesting period, Narval - thanks so much!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful work all around Sidney!!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, I believe I may have bought that book some time a goo, I will have to pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book, John - really enjoyable to read and use.

      Delete
  10. Masterful work here Sydney, very nice and extremely characterful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous painting Sidney, this project is such a delight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really pleased you're enjoying the visits to Laarden, Phil !

      Delete
  12. Outstanding work once again Sidney! Wonderful painting as well as composition on the gun base. A shame you couldn‘t finish it in time for the bonus round.
    You’re als cranking out excellent looking cavalry units, no mean feat I might think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nick! The gun here is about 25% of what I had prepped for the "BFG" round - which, looking back on it, was pretty ridiculous! It's nice to have grand dreams of what I might get painted in a week, but I think I need to be a lot more realistic!

      Delete
  13. Very nice painting. Love it when fellow painters start talking color wheels, cool colours, warm colours, opposites.............
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, I always like to try and think what works well within a 'colour wheel' - although that is a bit hard when you're painting brown! Looking at the Foundry paint "triads" sometimes helps as well - just to get the colour ideas right.

      Delete
  14. Cracking work Sidney! Nice to see more additions to the forces of Laarden. Shame that you didn't make it in time for the theme round with the cannon though. Would have been one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry to have disappointed. The full 'BFG' submission for Laarden was indeed quite large - and what you have here is about a quarter. There may be time to squeeze it all in to this Challenge, just possibly. But it's a good reminder for me to be a bit more realistic in what I can achieve in the future!

      Delete