Sunday 8 April 2018

Challenge VIII Awards and Wrap-Up


Well, here we are at the end of another edition of the Painting Challenge. All the votes have been tabulated for 'Challengers' Choice', Sarah has made her selection for 'Sarah’s Choice', I’ve done the same for the Judges selection and we’ve made the prize draws for the six points thresholds. Whew! It has been a busy weekend so get yourself a cup of your favourite beverage and settle in for a long read.
_____________________________________


The Challengers' Choice

This year we had 30 nominations for this award with 80 people voting. I found it wonderful to peruse through the gallery of nominations as it provides a wonderful sampling of the three months of the Challenge.

Honourable Mentions 

SidneyR for his wonderful Body of Work focusing on his quasi-historical 17th century town of Laarden - shown here is a but a small selection of his talented output this year.





Curt's Body of Work




MartinN's brilliant Roman Dromendary




AnthonyO's astonishing 'Empire of Dust' collection





Third Place for Challengers' Choice  

DebD for her verdent Female Ranger




Second Place for Challengers' Choice  

ByronM for his terrifying Kingdom Death Dragon King






First Place for Challengers' Choice' goes to... 

GregB for his amazing Byzantine Cataphractoi Heavy Cavalry





For Deb and Byron, you both recieve a 25 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures.

Greg, for your prize, you'll receive a weekend's accommodation at Schloss Campbell-Hanks which includes delicious home cooked meals, imbibing of cheap plonk and a  series of raucous miniatures games in which you'll be allowed to win. Yep, you've hit the mother load with this one buddy. ;)

If you're interested in seeing the voting results for Challengers' Choice they can be seen here.

__________________________________________

Judge’s Choice

Honourable Mentions go to:

Anthony's incredible Australian Commandos





Kyle's pipetastic Dwarf Bust









The Judge’s Choice goes to:

Byron's amazing Dragon King




Byron, for your prize you get to join Greg in putting up with me for a weekend of food, drinks and gaming. (I'll also let you win in the times when I'm not letting Greg win.) :)

Sarah’s Choice 

From Sarah: The Challenge technically ends on the first day of Spring and should usher in (at least the prospect of) warm and sunny days. But as I sit in my living room, it is most definitely NOT spring. I have the fireplace roaring and am watching a steady stream of cross country skiers glide past the park across from our yard - a perfect setting to make the Sarah’s Choice selection.

The Painting Challenge is full of creative and talented hobbyists, and the range of female figures presented was impressive. Super heroes, dwarven warrior women, succubbi dance troupes; every type of figure from ordinary folk having tea to reformed cultists ..... my awarding of Sarah’s Choice has become a personal highlight of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.

Before I announce the Honourable Mentions and Winner, I want to send a big Thank You to Millsy for the Sarah-geld he sent me. The Alchemist Sarah now has a place of honour alongside my espresso pot collection. I think it a most suitable place for her to watch over my culinary concoctions.



Honourable Mentions

Barks’ Diana Stanley


I am huge fan of the Chuthlu mythos and the Mansions of Madness game and have played the Diana character many times. I think you have captured her character well, despite your misgivings over her featureless face. As a reformed cultist and trying to navigate her way through to the side of good, she may be forgiven for trying to keep her self expression contained.

Well Done and I hope to see more of your Lovecraftian characters next Challenge.

Sydney’s Goose Girl


The entire Laarden project is amazing and has me creating a reading list of 17thC Dutch historical novels. I will report back next Challenge with a list of recommendations/reviews.

But the Goose Girl is so lovely and reminds me of one of my favourite opening movie scenes ... 'The Duellists'.

La!

Deb’s Body of Work

What a tremendous first Challenge, Deb!

I truly loved all of your entrants, but the ones that really stood out for me are the Female Ranger with Bow and the Soulgazer Elf Priestess.



Well done and I hope to see you next year!

And the winner is... MartinN’s Milicianas





What I loved most about these 8 tough, courageous and idealistic ladies is that they are rooted in history and the painting reflects the style and colours of the era. The polka dot dress and the Gerda Taro figure are standouts. So often, female combatants are neglected and it is important to remember that conflict affects everyone. 

Nick, as your prize you get a painted figure of your choice from Curt (besides, I'm sure he owes you one anyway). :)

Well done all Challenge Eight participants! Enjoy the next few months of re-stocking the lead pile, prepping and priming and of course plotting next years Challenge strategy.


Points Threshold Prizes

Next we have the Point Threshold prizes. These are a random draw awarded to participants who broke through the six points barriers over the course of the Challenge.

Threshold I / 500-749 points: EvanH
(Gift certificate from War & Peace Games)

Threshold II / 750-999 points: PaulS
(25 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)

Threshold III / 1000-1499 points: Barks
(25 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)

Threshold IV / 1500-1999 points: KenR
(20 GBP gift certificate from Warbases)

Threshold V / 2000-2499 points: DavidB
(40 GBP Gift Certificate from Westfalia Miniatures)

Threshold VI / 2500+ points: AlexS
(Subscription to Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy magazine)

Also, I'd like to inaugurate  a new 'Young Guard' prize category to recognize the young newcomers of each edition of the Challenge. This year's 'Young Guard' prize goes out to ArthurS for his industrious work at painting knights and keeping his dad busy. 


Arthur, you will receive a hand crafted dice tower from the magical workshop of the ever-industrious MilesR. 

__________________________________________


Top Tier Points Finishers

Now, I think it only proper to give some prizes to our Paint Titans who dominated the points roster:

3rd in the Points Standings: MilesR: (20 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)

2nd in the Points Standings: NoelW (3x3 Gaming Mat from Deep Cut Studios)

1st in the Points Standings KentG (50 GBP Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)


Congratulations to all the prize winners and thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us. Please contact me to work out the details of your prizes.

__________________________________________

As per tradition, I've come up with a few gifts to help express my gratitude to this year's Minions.

Sidney, our bright and bushy-tailed Monday Morning Minion (how do you keep so cheery?!), I know you had been coveting the 2mm windmills I sourced from Shapeways, so here's one based with a concentration of artillery. 



I've tried to keep it close in colours to your winter themed bases, but I know you can use some of your brush magic to better blend them to your collection. I'll also include a few more unpainted ones for you to use in your future projects.




Sander, Tuesday's Terrific Teacher Minion: I was awaiting a great influx of 1/72 scale Napoleonics during the Challenge for your Salamanca project, but alas, you were derailed by other flights of fancy (To be sure, I cast no stones regards getting distracted as I'm one of the worst hobby butterflies fluttering about). 



Nonetheless, to help you get on the rails again, here is a 1/72 French Dragoon from Hagen Miniatures. I picture him campaigning in the Peninsula, foraging with this trusty mount for some hard-won supplies.



Ray, our slayer of spreadsheets, deleter of posts, I award you a raving 18th century infantry commander. Let's call him Miles.



This chap is from the excellent Ebor WSS range. I've painted him as an officer of the Languedoc Regiment. I hope he will be the start of a new faction for your growing Donnybrook collection.




Jamie, our Thursday Minion, you were a bit more difficult to find something appropriate. I asked Greg what Legions you collected and he said only Word Bearers and Thousand Sons. Grr, damned heretics. I decided to troll back on your entries in the Challenge blog and was reminded that you also worked on Salamanders. Loyalists! Yahh!


Now, I just needed to find a suitable figure... Undaunted, I put on my parka and ventured into the Lead Shed. Lo and behold, in a darkened corner, I discovered my first box of half-built Beakies from 1987 (Note the 1986 Canadian nickel I found that were still glued in their bases for weight - provenance is everything). Perfect. 



I have to apologize for the photos. The green actually does have some depth to it, but the lighting wouldn't cooperate. Nonetheless, I hope you like him Jamie.



Michael, our gracious Saturday Minion, I've decided to gift you another character for your 'Witchfinder General' collection. 



This fellow is a Fantasy variant of the 40K Inquisitor that I painted last year. He was tremendous fun to work on, with lots of details to pull out. Michael, I hope he burns assists many heretics wayward souls in his future adventures with you.




I also want to thank our Spreadsheet Spectre / Maniacal Mathemagician Miles and our Duels Wallah Millsy for once again gifting us with their sterling efforts this year. Expect something in the post soon my friends.


______________________________________________


Painting Challenge VIII is now concluded.  I’d like to thank all our Challenge Sponsors for their generous support of the event. The sponsors are listed on the right sidebar, so if you have a free moment please visit their sites, see if something strikes your fancy and consider giving them some trade.  As I mention every year, the Challenge doesn’t need prizes for it to be a success, but it adds a bit of glitter to the proceedings. :) Again, my great thanks to all our wonderful sponsors!

Finally, and I really can't say this enough, I want to thank all our Challenge participants. I never tire of saying that this event would be nothing without you. It is your industry, your good humour and most of all, your generosity of good will that makes the Painting Challenge what it is. My thanks to you all.

So in closing, I bid you all a fond farewell. Enjoy the Spring and Summer and I hope to see you back when the air turns cool this autumn...

Curt

30 comments:

  1. Wonderful competition awesome new friends made wonderful painting thxs Curt and everyone that helped cheers all this competition pushed me nice to get a win see you next year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Curt. That's another excellent Challenge complete. And a big well done to all very well deserved winners!
    Thanks for the Officer figure Curt. He will fit in perfectly in the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curt, thanks indeed for the titanic effort. I have really enjoyed this year's challenge a lot and hope patiipating next autumn. See you all again in a few months

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Curt for the wonderful event! Thanks to everyone who helped, supported and commented on these difficult, but such a pleasant three months! I look forward to the end of the year and the new Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to all the winners, and a massive thanks to Curt and the team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Curt, and all the minions. A really enjoyable three months which gave a great boost to my collection, whilst the skills of some participants are inspiring. Looking forward - with fingers crossed - to Challenge IX.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular stuff! Well done all: Curt, Lady Sarah, minions, and fellow painters! Cant wait for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. VIII was great! As always, I enjoyed both participating and helping out with the Challenge this year. Hats of to both KentG and NoelW for their astonishing points and quality output!

    As we often say in the glamorous world of Celebrity Statisticians:

    "Calc-On Dudes"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again Curt, another super Challenge, some fantastic entries this year. I love seeing and admiring other people's work, often well outside my normal fare.

    It's a great motivator to get that lead pile down. Congrats to all the winners and thanks to all the helpers. Special mention to those who took time to post on people's entries and give them praise and encouragement throughout.

    See y'all next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo - fine choices all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congradulations to all the winners. Its been great fun and I look forward to doing it again next year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to all winners indeed! Great stuff all-round!
    Thanks also four the kind Young Guard award for Arthur, he could really use a dice tower too he throws them all around the room.

    Curt that will be the best painted Frenchman in my collection thanks heaps from the Ferry port in Calais waiting to get to the UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thank Сurt for his excellent work as an organizer. Especially I would like to say that Kurt is not afraid to experiment with the regulations. Thanks to this event every year more and more interesting and interesting. Thank you, Сurt!
    I am grateful to all participants. You all work fine, it was a pleasure to work with you at one time in one hobby!
    I congratulate all the winners, especially I'm happy for Greg, who showed once again that you can paint a lot and very high quality!
    Thank you all, we will see each other next year, and we remember that Tamsim promised to be with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Great Challenge - see you next winter!

      Delete
  14. Holy smokes, thanks everyone!! What a pleasant surprise for a Monday morning at work!! Congrats to all the winners, especially Byron - you should see that monster up close, it's even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, but yeah it's still only 1 thing, those cav are awesome and probably a whole lot more work! great job!

      Delete
  15. Another awesome challenge, in my humble opinion the best I've been involved with. some really epic work. see you all for challenge IX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to everyone for all the amazing and hard work everyone put in over the challenge. There were so many amazing looking submissions this year, I think everyone outdid themselves yet again! Congrats to Greg on a well deserved win for his cav, they are stunning! And once again a great big thank you to Curt for running this truly bonkers event!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks again to Curt for running the Challenge - and what a Challenge it's been! Great work from so many fine painters, all in an atmosphere of friendship and camaraderie. I'll definitely be back next time - maybe I'll even get to 600 points...?
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done everyone, spectacular stuff! Thanks again Curt, brilliant fun as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to all participants on yet another amazing challenge. The quality of the entries never ceases to amaze me and the community you have created is every bit as remarkable as your work. For those who are gifted with a stay at schloss Hanks Campbell, don't fall for Curt letting you win (particularly if he dusts off Formula de, but most certainly any co-op games like Arkham Horror). Well done all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats to the winners! And very well done to every challenger as well! Ridiculous amounts of amazing minis got painted for this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Curt, Sarah and Minions for hosting such a fun event! Thank you fellow painters! I had a lot of fun painting along side everyone :) and I hope to be able to paint even more next time. Looking forward to next the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done to everyone who took part. Superb organisation (as always), and a supportive band helping to spur each other on to better things. Look forward to seeing you all next winter.

    Cheers,

    Richard C

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank You to everyone! Real World was a bother this go around, but I hope to have it all sorted next season. It was a "Monstrous" good time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, I should really try not to get distracted by work quite so often! Congrats to all the challengers, not just those that won votes, but to everyone who entered and to Curt and the Minions for running it! And thanks to Barrage miniatures for the random spot prize :D

    This feels like an awards ceremony or something daft... now what to spend the ill-gotten gains on... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - smashing stuff all round! Thanks for the cracking figure Curt, it was great fun being a minion as I felt like I was contributing despite my personal painting output being below par. I look forward to smashing the heretics with my personal favourite weapon GW have ever made in that missile launcher.

    Well done to the winners, and very well done indeed Greg - I’ll take the reflected glory of having minioned for the winning entry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome stuff. Been a tad busy lately but I still plan on doing a body of work photo. Hopes it's not too late. :) cheers

    ReplyDelete