Sunday 30 December 2018

From AlanD - Medieval Russians (52 points)


My second main project for the challenge is painting 13th century Russians. I spent ages in November assembling figures made from bits and pieces of Fireforge Russians, Scandinavians and Foot Sergeants, and these are the first results.



I just love the look of medieval Russians, with the mix of eastern and western influences and lots of colour.





These are based so that I can use them in skirmish games like Burn and Loot, but also so I can sabot base them for bigger games like Deus Vult and Impetus.


All shields, as always, are hand painted. I have extreme and uncharitable views about shield decals. I even saw some decals the other day that were for entirely blank shields. I mean, what is the point??

Anyways, expect to see more Russians as the challenge continues!

Holiday Minion Millsy Reporting!
Seeing as it is Lady Sarah's birthday (which really *should* be a Canadian National Holiday IMHO) I thought I would step in and give Curt a few extra minutes for foot massage, tea making and general slavish adoration.

And what a first entry I get to review! Absolutely gorgeous colours, great character and some very atmospheric basing to finish off.

Having just assembled a metric ton of Fireforge plastics in November myself I can attest to how much fun it can be mixing and matching their kits. You've done a great job of just that here mate and coupled with the poses you've chosen you have created a really attractive and dynamic unit.

I particularly like the decoration you've added to the tunic edges and the shields are superb.

These ten stalwarts will earn you a solid 52 points including two for the tunics and shields. More please!

Cheers,
Millsy

17 comments:

  1. Stunning. Simply stunning... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing work on the shields. I have the same opinion about shield decals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medieval Russians, 15mm Russians, Eastern Front ruins. I'm starting to see a pattern forming here Dux...
    Nice job BTW. I look forward to seeing them on a tabletop soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff Dux. I’m in the same camp on the shield decals. Why anyone would choose to opt out of the joy of paint8ng shields for the exercise in frustration and failure that is decals is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why? Because for many there is no 'joy' in hand painting shields. Decals work for most of us and mostly look good. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing this level of craftsmanship, but the *average hobbyist* is going to loose their mind trying to get this level of detail out of their brushwork, especially if they are trying to reflect intricate designs (Hello, Byzantine iconography? Islamic script?). Decals have their place. Sure the process of application can make me nuts, but they've come a long way even in the past 5 years. My hat's off to you, Dux. Absolutely beautiful work, but you are amongst a rare breed being able to pull this kind of work off well.

      Delete
    2. Ok let’s rewind. Firs5 Dux’s shields are awesome and waaaay better than I could produce. Second yes do what works for you. For me that isn’t decals, I’m too ham fistedto get decals right, they take me too long and look like crap when I’m done.

      Delete
    3. Even I have my limits of pedantry....if I ever paint late late medieval pavises it will be decals all the way! :)

      Delete
  5. Superb brushwork The magnificent detail on the shields detract from the brilliant figures and basework. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are fantastic. The effort you've put into the shields really paid off. I'm tempted by the Fireforge Russians and this isn't helping any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab looking shields,I don't use decals but that's just because I'm incompetent! Lovely work all round!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are rather posh indeed! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why on earth would you inflict this upon yourself?! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what smashing looking figures! I’m in the decal camp as my freehand is awful, but those shields are a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome group. May have to get some Fireforge Rus for my Dark ages hordes. Cheers

    ReplyDelete