Sunday 30 December 2018

From NoelW: A quick second post - Libyan Javelinmen (70 points)

My first post was to complete an army. My second, to start one.

As a Christmas present I was given this:


I've wanted a Roman army for some while. This will be the start of their opponents.

I've been collecting Romans for the last few months whenever I've come across them second hand or in sales. In this way I've now 48 Caesarian Romans, around 100 Imperial Romans, enough Late Romans to start an army of them - and not a single Republican Roman. So I guess my Carthaginians will face non-historical opponents. But I'm not that concerned. Romans are Romans, surely?

This Victrix box is a great start for Carthage: 62 figures for less than £30 (and quite a bit less, if you shop around). These consist of 24 Veterans, 24 Liby-Phoenician heavy infantry and 14 Libyan javelin men. So here are the javelinmen, my first foray in this direction:


A close up:


(I've just noticed the red spot on his chin. I think that's an artefact of the photo, but I'll have to get the figure back out of the box and check. Maybe I'm repainting already!)


I rather like the hide shields that I've seen on some other gamers' Libyans, so that's what I've gone for here. Some work better than others. The brown and white in the next photo is probably a bit more pleasing than this black and white, but from a distance they all look quite convincing.



And the whole mob of fourteen.


I was quite pleased with these. And, thanks to Curt's advice, I think the photos this time are a tad better.

Fourteen figures at 5 = 70 points. And that's my first Squirrel point, too.


G'day Noel,

Wow that was quick getting a second post in so soon after your first. You'll be making serious inroads into your target in short order if you can keep this pace up!

I'm a huge fan of *anything* Carthaginian so you've hit a sweet spot for me with this entry. I'm also really pleased to see you've painted the flesh tones in an appropriate shade as opposed to the darker tones you sometimes see for Libyans.

Your colour scheme is also really appealing with the block of red/brown tunics to tie everything together paired with a mix of animal hide shields. Very effective indeed!

These speedy chaps earn you a further 70 points. Looking forward to seeing the next batch of troops for the new army.

Cheers,
Millsy

14 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Noel. I'm a big fan of "Victrix" models, and you've done them proud :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, I have just grabbed a set of these to start a Carthaginian army as well. Very interesting to see what can be done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Noel,great work on these javelin men. I agree with Curt on the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Millsy's comment and scoring you illiterate git... :)

      Delete
    2. ...but Millsy's right: lovely tan skin tones, mate! ;)

      Delete
    3. Well done Pete but not *quite* there yet mate. Keep it up though and you may well earn yourself the coveted "idiot in paradise".

      Delete
    4. PS. See what I did there? ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great work Noel! Love the hide shields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making a start on your new army. Those javelinmen look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bunch of lybians! The newer Victrix sculpts are great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete