Wednesday 26 December 2018

From SamuliS: Imperium's Finest (110 points)

Hi everyone!

Great to be back here painting with all off you! The Painting Challenge is definitely a massive motivation booster for me as it's always great to see the amazing stuff everyone is painting as well as having the friendly competition and also encouragement from everyone. By my counts this is my seventh challenge already, which seems to almost make me an old Grognard. I think I'd better start growing a proper beard then! That would also help with looking like a proper Viking to show my Scandinavian roots :)

Usually I've kicked off the challenge with a quick submission of a few 28mm minis in a bid to claim the coveted first spot at least for a fleeting moment. However this year round the company Christmas dinner kept me away from the brushes for the first few days so I decided to start with something a bit bigger.


I've been meaning to start playing Star Wars Legion for a while and when my local store had the starter box and some Wave 1 sets on sale on Black Friday I jumped on the opportunity. I'm planning to do a decent sized force for both sides to help in luring non-gaming friends in by having minis they can use as well, but decided to start with the Imperials. I've always kind of preferred the law and order instead of the dirty rebels with their secessionist terrorist tendencies.



As the minis are more or less monopose I set about doing some conversions so as not to have 3 identical units. Most were fairly simple hand swaps requiring just a bit of green stuff work. The Squad Leader and MG-42 (sorry DLT-19) gunners proved a bit more troublesome as they had special equipment. But some small alterations in their pose hopefully makes them at least a bit different from each other now.



In addition to being monopose I wasn't too happy about the quality of the minis. Detail is very soft and in some cases nonexistent. Hard to say if it's due to wear on the molds, but it's been the case with pretty much all the Wave 1 minis I've seen so probably just due to design. Seems a bit like a rip off with GW prices and quality worse than Reaper Bones. Hopefully the newer minis improve at least a bit.



Painting wise I went for a quick and dirty approach. Mostly because after seeing the quality I didn't feel like spending too much time on them. A light grey basecoat followed by pure white from the top with my airbrush. Then picking out the dark areas with a dark grey and lining the panel lines etc. with a light grey to make them a bit less monotone. And some chipping to break the surface. On Vader I put in a bit more effort with highlights and also trying my hand at OSL (Object Source Lighting). Turned out pretty nicely even if I say so myself. I'm still not 100% decided on if it's stark enough or not, but I'm leaving it like that for now.




Finally I based them for Endor as that's just the best setting from the original film series. And our club has a pretty amazing Endor table to fight over. Mostly just a collection of all kinds of random scatter as well as some ferns that I did from coffee filters dyed green and cut with some Green Stuff World cutters.

That's 22 28mm figures so should get me started with 110 points and my first entry for the Squirrel Side Duel!

__________________________________

Welcome back Samuli! Seven Challenges, eh? Yes, I think you may need to grow some moustaches for your next time out to show your veteran status. :)

I love seeing Star Wars stuff getting some love. I almost sucummbed to Legion but I wasn't crazy about the scale and already have loads of stuff to do for 'Imperial Assault' (that reminds me... Squirrel!).

While the detail may be a bit soft on the stormtroopers (and what's up with that? The game is only a year old) you have done a terrific job on them. I like how you've weathered them up a bit and the Endor grounwork is excellent (only to be improved wit a couple of zapped Ewoks). This all being said, your Vader is the bees knees. That OSL effect is fantastic and you nailed the black-on-black shading. Very well done.

So, 110 points base and I'll give you a few more for the conversions. A great first entry for your Challenge.


39 comments:

  1. Great start Samuli, nicely done.

    I certainly hope that there’s no facial hair requirement to long service or I’m out of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I'll be having trouble fulfilling the facial hair requirements of a proper grognard as well. I might have to just stick to a cultured pencil moustache instead of a proper broom style. At least I have a pipe collection so that side is in order...

      Delete
  2. Samuli, your Darth Vader is absolutely smashing! Also, great job on the Stormtroopers.

    The softness and lack of detail is very disappointing to hear. My brother-in-law is a big Star Wars Legion fan (I got him the Scouttrooper expansion and the E-WEB repeater blaster), and I've been sorely tempted by Legion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert!

      From what I've seen the later minis are better in quality as are the vehicles. The first basic trooper sets were average at best. But even the newest ones don't come close to what other companies are making. Considering what CMON can do with the same "bucket plastic" on their board games these are quite a let down. Especially considering they are priced like GW stuff...

      Delete
  3. Nice minis. Both white and black can be tough colours to do well and you've done a brilliant job on both. The stormtroopers look good and Vader is excellent, very sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Impressive. Most impressive." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fine work Samuli in particular the highlighting on Vader.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Samuli. As others have noted, the detail and shading on Vader is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. White and black are challenging- lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bark! Luckily it's finally (almost) over! Only a few bikers left to do and then it's just the grey vehicles so plenty of colour compared to these :D

      Delete
  8. Great looking forces of law and order! The stormtrooper white is lovely as is Vader's black!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Samuli! Have missed your painting over the last months and am glad you're here with us. Really would like to see some more SW stuff from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Yeah I've been a bit lazy with blogger and have mostly just transitioned fully to facebook groups and forums for sharing hobby work.

      Delete
    2. Noo! Don't leave Blogger - its not perfect but its so much more democratic than Facebook. A lot of people don't do Facebook (a lot meaning at least me) so we'll not easily get to see your stuff. Pout. :)

      Delete
  10. Nice work Samuli. The OSL on Vader looks great :)

    @ Curt - this is my sixth Challenge and I AM NOT, repeat NOT going to be growing a 'tache or beard to show my veteran status! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about the queues a hussar wore?

      Delete
    2. Right! You'd look great in cadenettes. Good save, Robert. ;)

      Delete
    3. Cadenettes or moustaches it is then ;) The choice is up to the participant :D

      Delete
  11. Great work White is so hard to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vader is excellent, that OSL looks spot on to me. I see a lot of Luke’s/Vader’s where it’s overdone, I much prefer your subtle effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! I figured a really muted version would probably look better. Especially considering that in the original films the lightsabers don't actually emit a glow at all. Although I think that probably had more to do with the technology available at the time compared to anything else.

      Delete
  13. I've been resisting the lure of the Starwars Legion for months but your work here is making it hard, very hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruleswise it's a solid game, but some of the minis are definitely a bit lacking. At least they are fast to paint!

      Delete
  14. Nice work Samuli. The OSL on Vader's sabre is great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive work on those sir! I find painting black or white the two hardest colours, so stormtroopers and vader are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent work! More of Star Wars please. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job on these Samuli! I can attest to your assessment as I'm obviously enough of a star wars nerd, I bought the game at Adepticon!
    Still you made them look very fine and Vader looks especially menacing!
    I wish they were in scale with Imperial Assault, but I'm pretty happy with what I have for the moment. ;)

    ReplyDelete