Monday 4 February 2019

From AlanD: The Diether von Roeder (35 points)



 The Diether von Roeder (Z17) was a Type 1936 destroyer of the Kriegsmarine that fought at Narvik in 1940, mauling HMS Cossack and eventually being scuttled by its crew after running out of ammunition.



A few of the chaps from our club have become quite excited about Warlord Games' new Cruel Seas game, and I had my first game on Wednesday, which was quite fun. Paul O'G challenged me to the naval side duel this year, so this is my shot across his bows - a 1/350 destroyer to act as a big target in Cruel Seas.





I probably haven't made a model of a WWII ship since I made the Airfix Tirpitz about a hundred years ago, and I really enjoyed the excercise. This is the Zvezda kit of the Diether von Roeder, which I populated with a bunch of figures from Fujimi. I made the wake from epoxy putty.

 



I have no idea how many points this is worth, but hopefully lots because it took forever! The ship is about 35cm long and there are 24 x 1/350 figures.



All these Cruel Seas entries are causing your minion a lot of complex thinking. I reckon that is about the same volume as a 28mm vehicle, plus 12 points for the crew, plus some bonus points for the dynamic smoke (steam?) and wake effects, and to make PaulOG nervous. So that's 35 points, or 1/cm.

Barks

13 comments:

  1. Oh man, that looks awesome Alan. I love the extra detail you put into it (crew, reflections in the windows, wake, etc) I definitely have to pick one of these up for Cruel Seas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that’s cool. I wondered if we would see a decent size ship for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's superb, and a damn big boat for Cruel Seas, should scare off any unwanted opponents !
    As a side point, as a dedicated Naval Gamer, I think Naval stuff is quite under pointed in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ken. Would you like to send me a proposed matrix for scoring them?

      Delete
    2. Hi Curt, only just seen this, will have a think about it, just doing some Naval Stuff this week so will put some thoughts together.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely fabulous post Alan! Well done, and superbly detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, congrats on getting that sucker done Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic looking destroyer!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks fabulous mate. Now put some tracks on it and make it a proper model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive. And a lovely model.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing work Alan! That's gonna be quite a massive target! I've been thinking about building some 1/350 waterline models for Cruel Seas as well as I've got a few at home. This definitely works as an inspiration for that!

    ReplyDelete