Monday 18 February 2019

From Mike W: 28mm Roman, Fantasy and 17th Century figures (115 Points)

For this second post of the week, I am concentrating on a number of other figures I have been working on, separate to my efforts on the Saxon Infantry Regiment previously posted. As ever, somewhat a mash-up of periods...

First off a group of 12 x 28mm Roman Legionaries that have been kicking around in my 'lead mountain' for several years, I bought these on a whim but can't remember now, where they came from. Remember thinking that they would look cool painted-up but  have never had time or inclination to paint these once I got them home!

The raw figures with first steel, red & flesh layers added
I'm afraid that I have forgotten who the manufacture was for these figures, but having painted these, I was right! They do look cool!


Roan Legion Cohort of 12 x 28mm figures
Due to the large amount of metal work on these figures I undercoated them black and then dry-brushed on a suitable steel colour,I wanted the figures to have a strong presence on the wargame's table so used a lot of red for tunics, shields and helmet plumes.

Officer and shield detail

The rest was simple - flesh and leather with a few details picked out in brass. I gave the chap's skin a flesh wash to add tone and the sprayed with matte varnish before basing.

It's my personal view that for most ancient armies, the key to a spectacular army, is getting the shields right, in the case of Romans  these have to be uniform and that is something I struggle to do! For these figures I used the original paper shields that I think came with the first Warlord Games plastic box set. I attached to the painted shield with PVA glue and then varnished with Army Painter matte varnish to seal them in place, job done!

Calculations; 12 x 28mm Infantry Figures @ 5 Points ea. = 60 Points.

Unpainted figure
Next up, is an old plastic Games Workshop fantasy figure,believe this came in a small boxed set of magicians, this guy is a Egyptian type Necromancer - if I remember correctly!

Completed!
I glued it to a 2 pence piece and undercoated with white paint and  layered on the colours in my usual way. I initially did his under robe in a crimson colour, but then decided I didn't like it and want to go for a classic ochre and jade blue look and feel. I think I have some old Games Workshop skeletons  up in the loft or out in the garage in those colours, this chap can join them.

Anyway, I used a thick mix of ochre paint to block out the crimson that I'd previously used and then dry brushed with Citadel Bone paint, I also highlighted his flesh with the same bone colour to make him look less healthy!

The snake on the staff was deliberately painted in bright colours, to contract the figure and the base was left largely sand, with a couple of dry grass tufts to show a more arid environment.

Calculations; 1 x 28mm Infantry Figures @ 5 Points ea. = 5 Points.


Raw figures, prior to undercoat
Next are 4 x 28mm 17th Century mounted officers, believe that three of these are a Front Rank and one a Riever Castings piece, I base these on 40mm round MDF bases and as usual undercoated with white.

I like painting up officers and commanders of this period as it offers a little scope to give these little fellows a slightly different take on the uniforms of the period.

Firstly - I have to say my main area of interest is the Franco-Dutch Wars in the 1670s, so pushing out to Siege of Vienna is a bit of  a stretch for these figures. Additionally a couple of these figures are actually Marlburian from the early 1700s. As such I often change the tricorns on these figures to more relaxed floppy hats of the earlier period.

However, I decided to go with tricorns on three of these figures as there is no real hard evidence as to when the fashion for pushing up three sides of the slouch hats started. I did change one figure to have a highland bonnet after cutting off it's original hat.

The figures were painted a variety of colours, the Scots officer in Government Red,whilst the other three were deliberately kept more generic to allow deployment in any army of the period.

The results are as below...


Reiver Castings Officer
Converted Scots Officer
Another Front Rank Officer
Probably my favourite of the group!

Calculations; 4 x 28mm Mounted Figures @ 10 Points ea. = 40 Points.

Rear side view of Caisson
Front side view of Caisson
Next is a second Ottoman artillery limber and horse, this time painted in a base red with metal fittings. I include two photos to give a better look at the fancy caisson / limber, once gain liberated form an old Games Workshop Galloper Gun set.


Calculations; 1 x 28mm Horse @ 5 Points ea. = 5 Points.
                        1 x 28mm Limber @ 5 Points ea. = 5 Points.
                        TOTAL 10 Points

TOTAL Points - 60 + 40 + 10 +5 =115 Points

A wonderfully varied entry- dare I suggest this is your red period? The Romans look superb, and I'm impressed at your paper shields- I hadn't realised that was a thing. I struggle to do red over a dark undercoat, you must share your secrets.

I think that is a Light Wizard- I never painted mine but cannibalised it for other projects. I like the cream and blue scheme, I think a crimson tunic would have been a hard sell.

The mounted officers are great, and so is the limber!

Barks

7 comments:

  1. Nice varied post! I like your Romans,shields look great! I've got that necromancer knocking about somewhere,I really like your mounted officers,it's an interesting transitional period,oh and I like your before and after pics too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great variety pack of entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about shields - the key to good ancients. But your decals are so much neater than most of mine. I'll try your approach from now on. And I really like the C17th officers. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barks - My bad! I should have explained better in the write-up. I undercoated the figures white, as I usually do, then painted the areas were there was a lot of metal work black - allowing me to dry brush on the Vallejo Oily steel. I the painted flesh and red onto the white undercoated parts. You are right red or yellow on a black undercoat is a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paper decals applied with PVA?! Wow, I've not heard of such things - that sounds like absolute torture, but your results are brilliant - well done Mike. Also love that converted Scots officer. Ace work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice variety of figures and periods. Well done.

    ReplyDelete