Sunday 10 March 2019

From Curt: NATO Scuba Assault Team (40 Points)



I thought I'd squeak in another small entry before I make the announcements for the 'Fellowship' theme round.

Here is a contemporary scuba assault team with their fast attack boat all ready to take down targets like a hijacked freighter, a terrorist controlled oil platform, or perhaps even a suspicious water skier.


This set is from Eureka Miniatures. I thought it would nicely compliment the German special forces frogmen I did a few years ago.


I kept the three kneeling poses on their stock bases so they would still fit in the assault boat. The other three's bases were trimmed so I could put them on clear acrylic like some of my other skirmish figures.



As you can imagine these were pretty simple to knock out: black with increasing highlights of P3 Gravedigger Denim for the scuba suits and gear. Then black again with a VMC Blue Grey highlight for their weapons and metal bits. I find the trick to blending dark tones is to use a few thin coats of Liquitex Statin Varnish (which has an added bonus of providing a nice slick look to the wetsuits). I quite like the effect and may try this with some other figures (I think it would look pretty bang-on for Sisters or Imperial Sardaukar troopers from Dune).

The six figures will give me 30 points and I figure the assault boat is worth no more than 10.

Thanks a bunch for dropping in. I'll catch up with you in a few hours when we round-up the results of the voting for our 'Fellowship' round.

Curt

22 comments:

  1. Nice assault team and a lovely boat!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unusual figures but they sure do look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are cool... you need a very large passenger liner for them board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Tamsin would lend me her tramp steamer?

      Delete
  4. These look flat out cool Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! Black is so hard to paint - you have nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unexpected! Nice take on black here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work and I'd like to echo the comments on painting in black

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, you've done a fantastic job with the black wet-suits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like these! They’ll be perfect company for your frogmen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appreciate all the kind words folks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really great stuff Curt - very Rainbow Six!
    I really struggle with comprehensively dark figs like those

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work Curt. These figures are beauties, and the paint work is top-shelf!

    In fact, let's check them out on the Eureka web site right now...
    (looks online)
    (finds website)
    (is immediately lost in Eureka's byzantine web site)
    (computer is smashed to pieces)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep. It seems half the 'fun' of collecting Eureka stuff is actually finding it to purchase.:P

      Delete
  13. An excellent entry, Curt!
    The colour of the skuba suits turned out excellent. Thanks for your hints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWESOME! I need one of those for my Joes! But you're not raiding my Battle Platform Curt, you're not I tell you!

    ReplyDelete