Monday 11 March 2019

From DaveX: An Afghanistan Compound (60 points)

This week I pulled my finger out and painted up my Afghanistan Compound.  This is a 3D Print I have done.  I textured the walls with some PVA glue and tile grout.

I primed it with Rust-Oleum Spray, blocked in a few colours and then dry-brushed with a large make up brush.  I then hit it with oils.

I am pretty happy how this thing came out.  Plus it is massive! It is for 20mm Figures and 1/72 scale.

The roofs and second stories all come off and are magnatised.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets work out the points. It is 44cm long, 31cm wide and about 10cm high

So lets say 18inches x 12inches x 3inches to keep the maths simple.

So that would (3 x 2) 6 inch cubes at 20 points each = 120 points.

As the height is only 3 inches tall thats half of that so should be 60 points.

I think that is about fair and this thing took freaking ages to magnatise, texture and paint.


It's big


Nice detail for a 3D print



even comes with Airconditioning


All the levels and rooms are magnatised

Very nice work, Dave! Great to see some action shots. I'm leaning towards 3D printing with subsequent texturing and detailing, as you have done here. It really looks the part. 60 points well-earned!

Where did you get the .stl from, or is it your own?

Barks

14 comments:

  1. Great looking compound! Lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really fecking nice, would you be interested in selling them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francis. You need a commercial licence to sell his prints, I dont have one. I will be using this set for my games. See my comment further below for the designers website.

      Delete
  3. Holy smokes, that is a beautiful bit of terrain. I really like the colours and that print turned out terrific. Was it from Thingiverse or a commercial design? 20mm is such a great scale for skirmish, and I often regret not having gone this route when I started, but I love too many of the 28mm sculpts out there. Sigh.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commercial design as a kickstarter and then available to purchase. See my comment further down for link

      Delete
  4. Nice looking compound Dave :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking terrain, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To all wondering where it came from, it was originally a kickstarter but the files are now available from here https://holvi.com/shop/6GWBSw/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really is a terrific job, one of the best pieces of terrain I have seen in this challenge. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! I agree with John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good looking piece of terrain, would it be fitting for Indian theaters of war as well I wonder?

    ReplyDelete