Sunday 17 March 2019

From PhilH: Antihero Curtgeld (27 points)

Sorry Curt, I ignored your instructions for this year’s Curtgeld. Instead my token of appreciation to our Challenge Custodian is a “superhero” that’s rather more up his alley.  

The titular character of DC/Vertigo's horror series John Constantine: Hellblazer is an occult detective and con-man. A deeply cynical, deadpan, chain-smoking Liverpudlian punk, he’s pretty much the epitome of an antihero. While he strives to do good, his main tools are deceit, cunning and some hedge-magic. Constantine tends to succeed only at great cost to those around him, often his closest friends, and is wracked with guilt over past mistakes. 


The sculpt really captures the character: scruffy but charismatic. Probably the best-known Hellblazer storyline is 1991's 'Dangerous Habits', having Constantine contract terminal cancer from his lifelong habit. Knowing his soul is damned, he strives to con the lords of hell out of their prize. This run also has the dubious honour of being the very loose source material for the inexecrable Keanu Reeves film adaption (if you haven't watched it, just don't)


I bought Constantine as Curtgeld for the more thematic Challenge VIII, but never got around to prepping him for painting. He might be late, but I'm chuffed with the final result here, and wish I got to keep him.


I used the supplied cobblestone base, very fitting for a working-class inner-city fella like Constantine. I was going for a rain-slicked cobbles look and added an appropriate band poster.



Contains subtle swearyness

The mini is by Knight Models. A resin cast originally sculpted for metal, he should be more like this, but the demonic fire is so flimsy it was broken on arrival. Now it just looks a bit like poor John has set fire to his hand. I fired Knight an email about it, to no response. I've been done with Knight a little while now: pricey, poor quality and shabby customer service. 




I need an adjudicator on whether I can claim another squirrel for this one? I mean, he’s DC rather than Marvel and about as different a comic book hero to the spandex-clan X-Men as it’s possible to be...

I'm cooking up two more entries for the final straight - but will I be able to hit a nice round 500?

__________________________________________________________________

And more not French! 

Curtgeld can always be paid in arrears, much like Army pay. So this can always be applied retroactively to Painting Challenge VIII. After all, I am shipping Curt a figure from Challenge VII!

And while I understand the frustration of both a broken figure and poor customer service, I'd say it looks better as you've painted it. Very much a lemons from lemonade there. In fact, your rendering is very much better than the Knight Models promotion.

Let's see, a 40mm figure is 7 points, and Curtgeld gets you another 20, for a total of 27. And yes, DC and Marvel will NEVER mix, so you meet Squirrel point criteria there. So, I'll allow it.

HerrRobert, Friday Follies Phantasmical, Over

8 comments:

  1. Oh wooow! Constantine, along with The Sandman, are my all time favourite graphic novel 'heroes'. I think your recovery with the broken flame is excellent and I love the 'Mucus Membrane' band poster (an allusion to his punk past). This is absolutely fantastic Phil, thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, the poster is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work,he's super!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete