Friday 29 March 2019

SanderS - At Challenges End...

As Big Chris says:


Let's start with the most important thing of all: saying a BIG well deserved THANK YOU to Curt, the good Lady Sarah, the Mionions (specially our Big Lee!) and all you other participants for making this year's Challenge such a fun event to take part in. Special mentions must surely also go to Michael for putting up with me for another year, Tamsin: how do you manage to reply to each and every post in here AND paint more brilliant stuff than most of us at that?! Personally I have not been able to reply to all your excellent posts and apologize for that guys. And last but by no means least to my eldest son and Companion: Arthur for sharing this love that is our Hobby.

Am I happy with this year's crop? Hmmm hard to say really, while I did manage to get some stuff off the desk that has been hanging around for years (a decade in the case of the Dreadnaught)  I do feel like I could have painted more. Next year I will try a bit more planning and pre-Challenge prep. For most of the Challenge my gaming table looked like this:


You can see Arthur's painting-desk in the foreground. While the Challenge progresses I put the painted stuff in the table to see my progress; the prepped pile gets smaller, the painted pile grows.


The boxes of stuff are filled with miniatures still to be put together, most of which I got for my birthday which is in January and therefore mid-Challenge.
So on to the "done" picture:


Some more close ups:




Oh and of course after taking the picture you realise you forgot some models: the HQ Ogres and my Necromunda Gangs were used in games during the Challenge and were put away instead of back on the table.




Most happy I am with finishing the Battle Platform and the Spyrers, the platform had been cluttering the table for ages and I really looked up against painting it, now it's done! The Spyrers were just such a love to paint I would gladly collect the other versions for them if they weren't so damn expensive.



From the prepped stuff the lot below was left undone and I have decided that this get's painted before I allow myself to get into other stuff.

Meanwhile the lad has done well too, he's really all over the place where concentration is concerned and he likes gaming a lot more than painting but he's been a real trooper and I am mightily proud of him.


During the Summer Holiday we will be staying in Canterbury (UK) for 2 weeks and as I know the place a little I will be taking him to the local GW (can't seem to fond a decent gaming shop there)  and try to get him into some games and perhaps even some painting in the store.

A picture of myself is supposed to be in here as well, I asked my wife to take one of me painting but it's hideous so you'll have to make do with this one:


So what's up for the future? Well as I have said elsewhere, some new projects were started during the Challenge and they will be going on since I seem to have gotten into the flow of painting regularly. None of that post-Challenge blues for me, no sah! First will be the Transformers, keenly followed by Star Quest/ Space Hulk stuff. More HQ figures are always on the horizon and surely some more Necromunda as well.

For next year's Challenge I think I am going to go more into the Historical era, finishing my Indian Mutiny and getting some Napoleonics on the menu seems like a good idea.

For now farewell and till next year!

Cheers Sander and Arthur








22 comments:

  1. A most impressive haul of painting - especially Arthur's well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great effort by both you and young Arthur :)

    As for how I manage to comment on (just about) every post, it's quite simple - I'm not working at the moment, so I have plenty of free time. I usually do the comments when I'm taking a break from the painting desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Explains a lot, but I do hope you find yourself with less painting time soon ;-)

      Delete
  3. Quite a haul you have there Sander!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, one can only strive to gain more painted metal and plastic. One day I might rival your accomplishments yet!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Adam, it still has some mileage left yet. Watch this space next year ;-)

      Delete
  5. Great Challenge Sander. I loved the Necromunda bits, and that GI Joe platform was very cool - brought back some childhood memories for sure!

    Historical stuff next year, hey? Maybe some Franco-Prussian War? :)

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps not next year yet, but one can surely hope!

      Delete
  6. You and Arthur can hold your heads high, you've had a splendid Challenge and the repurposing of the old toys as terrain was inspired. Well played, chaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Evan, hope to see you next Challenge!

      Delete
  7. Fun work from both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge, enjoyed your platform and Arthur's entries were great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I hope to get him to participate next year as well!

      Delete
  9. A wonderful AHPC Season with some great submissions from you both!
    My favourites were the Necromunda goodies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done guys. Arthur looks to me like a very promising wargamer and painter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's trying to be and says: "Thank you!"

      Delete
  11. Bravo to the van Straeten Boyz!! Sander, Arthur you two were rocking the dynamic duo this year. Sander, I really enjoyed your Necromunda gangs (especially your Kal Jerico), and Arthur, your V8 Interceptor was ace. Well done lads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Boss, it has been a blast to take part again!

      Delete