Wednesday 25 December 2019

From PeteF: Sander's Sand Dunes - Old School Minifigs Dutch Lancers - Landfall! (50 points)


My dad painted a great many Minifigs - Nearly all of Wellington's Anglo Allied Hundred Days Army on a scale of 25:1. He did a few French which he gave to me, including a unit of 10 Dutch lancers which were a Christmas gift - I think in 1979 or 1980. Does anyone know when the 2nd Generation Minifigs started production? That might help narrow it down.


For some reason I like my cavalry in units of 12 so Sander's Sand Dunes red theme provided the perfect excuse to complete the unit. I tried as far as possible to match my dad's painting style and colours - although my Vallejos are not an exact duplicate of the original Humbrols and oils. I tried to stay away from the latest uniform research - button counters might spot some anomalies with these guys.


I am slowly building up a 25mm French army to fight Quatres Bras. I need another 15 or so infantry battalions and a lot of the cavalry, which included a large contingent of guard lancers (both Polish and Dutch). Completing this unit is a small step in the right direction - at the current rate of paint Quatres Bras could happen anytime in the 2030s. The problem is I keep getting distracted by other projects.  At some point I'll post some pictures of the larger collection - here is the unit of 12 Lancers in all their scarlet glory.



That's 2x25mm cavalry (10 points each) and landfall on the Dunes (30 points) for a total of 50.



It's time to lay the brushes down for a couple of days to spend some time with the family.

 Merry Christmas to all.




___________________________


I always love seeing new Minifig additions from you, Pete. You have such a wonderful provenance to this collection, with its long history with your father and brother. With this entry you've picked one of my favourite uniforms of the Napoleonic period - I'll always have a soft spot for a good czapska. I hope to have a similar post in the coming weeks and hope I can do them as well as your work here.

This will give you a nice 50 points to fuel your trek inland. Well done Pete and Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

  1. Those boys do look rather dashing, Pete :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG red lancers and classic Minifigs, those are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super looking Lancers in a great context!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fine work on those venerable figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice and bright, good stuff indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on these figures, painting them up must have brought back a few memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the old school basing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on these, Peter! They mesh well with what your father painted and really make it a heirloom regiment. I like the scarlet red uniforms with the yellow. Certainly a very handsome regiment! ;)

    ReplyDelete