Wednesday 25 December 2019

From PaulSS: Hay cart and wood store (25 points)


Time for one last post before I sign off for the holiday season!

Over the past few weeks Victoria has been gifting me some great items that she picked up from Warbases while we were at Partizan in the summer. Last weeks surprise was a hay cart and a draft horse to pull it. These were cleaned up, assembled and primed ready for the challenge starting on Saturday.



I've noted before that I seem to have a thing about taking something made out of wood, spraying it with grey primer and then painting it to look like wood and I did it again on this model.

The hay load is made from Noch wild grass foliage and I do like the effect more than the resin cast hay loads that are available.


Yesterdays gift was a wood store, this was stuck on a base (4" x 5") and a small fence added then the groundwork was textured with spackle/polyfiller then the whole thing coated in PVA and allowed to dry overnight.


This morning it was all given a primer coat of dark brown paint before painting the groundwork then drybrushing the shed and fence with an off white colour to represent lime washing and painting the roof to look like tar paper. This outbuilding will be a useful addition to the growing town.


Signing off for a couple of days now, hope you all have a great time over the festive season.


________________________________

Some very nice additions to your growing terrain collection, Paul. I quite like the Noch grass hay load - as you say it's a great improvement over the usual cast offerings. Well done.


29 comments:

  1. Lovely looking terrain, that should fit in in a lot of scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple but very effective terrain bits Paul. I’m a big fan of the mdf kits, and may have to pick up that wood store. And your hay looks like the horse will turn around and take a munch out it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice scatter pieces, Paul - that hay is very effective :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite snazzy.

    Care to share your paint recipe for wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robert.
      The kit was assembled and sprayed grey.
      Basecoat of VMC Flat Earth
      AP Strong Tone
      Re-apply basecoat of VMC Flat Earth
      Add a little VMC Iraqi Sand for first highlight
      Add a little more VMC Iraqi Sand for second highlight

      Delete
    3. Really. I can see the Flat Earth, but my recollection of Iraqi Sand is that it's a lot lighter. The strong tone must work wonders. I may nick this.

      Delete
    4. The first highlight is about 66% Flat Earth and 33% Iraqi Sand while the second highlight is about 33% Flat Earth and 66% Iraqi Sand.
      When I say about, I do mean about. I'm rather the mad scientist when it comes to mixing my palette ;)

      Delete
  5. Looking good Paul! I‘m sure both items will come in handy in a couple of scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice job, they'll dress the table an absolute treat I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking horse and cart and I like the wood store!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, they will definitely help add some character to your games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, I’m thinking of getting a horse and cart myself. I’m not fully sold on the hay; it misses a certain je ne sais quois in terms of weight. There must be a happy medium between loose hairs and a resin lump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, maybe could try gluing the Noch fieldgrass onto a resin lump....

      Delete
  10. They look grand, Paul! ....I repaint the wood to, it may be a pavlovian reflex to spray primer all models built and think color afterwards! ;)
    They both look grand and the stablekit is going to see a lot of battle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could do with some of this excellent scenery, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific work, Scrivs. You've made those items look very wooden - which is a great compliment, in case you were wondering ;) All really useful pieces, whatever the period!!

    ReplyDelete