Wednesday 25 December 2019

From BillA: Challenge Prize and Some Miscellaneous Figures (50 Points)

One of my goals for the Painting Challenge is to work through the backlog of Reaper Bones figures I have from their "Bones 4" Kickstarter.  I didn't back as extravagantly as many did (or as I am with Bones 5) but I still ended up with quite a lot of figures, many of which are not ones I would have chosen to buy individually, but when it's 80 figures in a box marked $50, that's hard to say no to.  So I've placed all my Reaper Bones figures in one box and given it a really good hard shake to mix them up.  In between Map goals and other projects, I'll be grabbing a few figures at a time from the box and painting them up - even if they're figures I have no real love or interest in, they're opportunities to practice techniques or test color schemes.  Here are the first few of them to be finished and leave the table:



First up is an "Armorback Barbarian," one of a collection of dinosaur-people included in the Bones 4 "Lost Valley" expansion - a collection of cavemen, dinosaurs, mountain giants, and the like.  I don't know when I'm ever going to use an ankylosaur-man for anything, but he was good practice for washing and layering with his well-defined muscles. 



Second, a "Crone" from the "Dreadmere" expansion - a swampy, steampunk setting that also provided the rowboat in my last entry.  Nothing fancy here, but she's out of the box now.  Bases on both of these were painted a simple Vallejo Goblin Green. 



Third, a cart that I believe was part of the Dreadmere expansion - again, nothing fancy here, just plain wood and rope, but I'm sure it'll be showing up on my gaming table quite a bit - I know there's a Frostgrave scenario revolving around a broken cart, for example, and it's just an otherwise very useful piece of scatter terrain. 



Finally, my contribution to the Prize pool for people conquering Snowlord's Peak - appropriately, a mountaineer, or as Reaper has him listed on their site, an "Antarctic Explorer." He was a fun figure to paint and base, including noting "AHPC X 2019-2020" around his base.  I'm looking forward to see who will be adding him to their collections. 

So let's see, 3 28mm figures on foot is 15, plus 25 for the Prize is 40...is the cart a vehicle? If so this is a 60-point entry. 

___________________________

Wonderful work Bill! I like your approach of using some of the outlier Bones models as guinea pigs for techniques and colour experiments. This being said, I really like what you did with the skin tone of that ArmourBack Barbarian - very cool effect that.

Your tariff figure is excellent as well. We could also easily title him, 'Waiting for the Regina City Bus'. Great work!

-Curt



15 comments:

  1. Nice work Bill. I do like ankylosaur man, complete with Thadomizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have edited. The correct term is Thagomizer, one of Gary Larsens contributions to science.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thagomizer

      Delete
  2. Nice work! Especially like that dinosaur-man. Quite an obscure theme, but why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking minis, putting the date on the base was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work. I especially like anlykasour -er- annakillsore -er -annekilljoy - that's ankyaliysor - -er dinosaur-man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the dinosaur chap is the business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, dino man is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, and a great choice for the prize pool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good fun. I like the scatter-cart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful brushwork, Bill! I like them all, but the dinosaur barbarian with the "thagomizer" is my favorite. The armored scales with the flesh tone"softer" side is really a nice transition. That is an excellent grouping of models though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice eclectic mix of some very good painted figures!

    ReplyDelete