Wednesday 22 January 2020

From Curt: al-Docherty and al-Millsy's Flying(!) Camel Artillery - for 'Docherty's Dock' (55 Points)


Mu'tamid al-Millsy steps back and grimaces in expectation of the coming catastrophe.' I don't know brother, this seems to be a very bad idea...'





'I think it's brilliant.' Dawood al-Docherty reaches forward with his lit linstock. 'If the thrice-damned French can have flying horse artillery then why can't we have the same, but with camels?!'



'Yes, I understand, but I'm just concerned about the 'flying' part...'



________________________


These figures were from a Westfalia Miniatures Kickstarter for Napoleonic Persians, way back when they were still doing Napoleonics (sniffs in pained remembrance). Wonderful Paul Hicks sculpts. They were an absolute pleasure to work on and I hope they get a smile from Dave and Millsy. Thanks Dave for the location challenge, it was great fun!




***
Guest minion Byron checking in today to get a submission in for the Snowlord.

What lovely figures here Curt, and while your painting is top shelf as usual, what really gets me is the colour choices and usage.  I am horrible at picking colours and figuring out what goes with what.  I would not think to match some of the colours you used together, but they took great on the figures.  They look like something you would see in real life.  Great work!

I also look at this and think, hmmm I really hate painting cavalry, how much would I hate painting a camel?  After are they are just bigger, smellier horses that spit at you, right?

As for the flying camel artillery... I think something was lost in translation on these two fellas!  But then again given who they are, does that surprise anyone???

Regardless, great little diorama style piece.

- ByronM

29 comments:

  1. Oh man, great work dude! This entry looks lovely, and also screams "safety first!"...very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. Yes, definitely an OH&S situation happening here. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha! Superb little vignette my friend. I have to agree with Byron. Somehow you use colours alongside each other I wouldn’t dare to combine and still it looks spot on. NowI wonder what happens next with these two nutters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I'm pretty certain the next scene would involve a base *without* a camel on it. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great work Curt, marvelous figures and really nice painting. I'll second Byron's comment on your colour palette. I know that various armies in Persia, India etc used these camel guns but it always leaves me wondering how. A camel might sit around and let you fire your zamburak once but no way are they going to let you reload it and get a second round off. Also I thought I'd mention that google tells me that the Fighting Camels are the sports teams of Campbell University in North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Yes, I somehow can't see this particular weapons platform having a strong rapid fire aspect to it. :P

      Delete
  4. Thanks very much Byron. I think I was being too clever by half in using the 'flying' reference. 'Flying artillery' was a colloquial 19th century term for horse artillery. I will blame my obtuseness on drafting this up last night under the influence of a glass (okay, many glasses) of Rioja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since the bottle is made of glass, you were under the influence of "a glass"....

      mmmm...Rioja....

      Delete
  5. What a great submission for Docherty's Dock.

    Does the rule about the challenger name being on the title line not apply to everyone?

    Or maybe it was a cunning test to see if Byron was following his Minion Instruction Manual properly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan.

      Sharp eye on the name gaff. You must have been one of THOSE kids when you were young. Yes, absolutely, my bad, but I will claim Snow Lord's prerogative on this one.

      Now, don't you have another 848 points to paint? ;P

      Delete
    2. You are welcome. Annoying is my middle name. Yep 848 more minimum.....(after taxes).

      Delete
  6. Cracking . Millsy andcDocherty ride again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. That or they will be looking for another ride after firing that gun. :)

      Delete
  7. Superb mate! I'm starting to think our various namesakes enjoy far more adventurous and interesting lives than we do Dave...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant work! Camel guns/cannon. Were they a 'thing'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they were, but I have no idea how they managed to keep the camels around after firing their first shot. Are the creatures that docile I wonder?

      Delete
  9. That is such a brilliant vignette mate! Now I just want to see Dave and Millsy wear such a lovely hat in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking vignette, excellent work as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete