Wednesday 22 January 2020

From PeteF: Treeherder and Unicorn for Forces of Nature Army (25 points)


To celebrate the newly published 3rd edition, my local Kings of War friends are doing an escalation league, allowing each of us to slowly build a full sized army. I am using it as an opportunity to add to my bare bones Forces of Nature army and try out some new units.



The tree herder is from a box of fantasy stuff that I bought at a wargaming convention bring and buy last year. I don't know who the manufacturer is/was. He is 4" tall and made of metal. This made him quite hard to paint - I don't wear gloves for painting and the acrylic had a tendency to rub off with even a small amount of handling. There's also a lot of stuff on the base and on the model. I don't love the sculpt or my paint job and may end up doing some more work on him (maybe changing some of the colours - it's one of the hardest things with fantasy figures since I'm used to uniforms). Initially I tried to paint him with all contrasts but it did not look right so he ended up with various green/brown/grey layers. At least he is now table ready for our game this Sunday.
Hard to Photograph!
The unicorn is from Wizkids Deep Cuts/Pathfinder Battles range. These plastic models come primed - normally with some minor but unfortunate mold lines. It is quite a bit bigger than a 28mm horse - about the size of a 40mm equine. I quite like the Wizkids line for filling in gaps in the Kings of War army. They are nice sculpts and affordable at 5 bucks for a blister pack. She is painted with Contrast Apothecary White layered and highlighted with white and drybrushed with silver.




The last 4" high monster I submitted was scored as a 28mm for 20 points. The unicorn is probably worth 5-7 points. I'll leave it to the minion of the day to decide the final number.


------
By Paul:
Great start to your escalation League project Pete!  Good luck with it

I particularly like the way you have done the Unicorn - she looks very clean and pure

I've scored the Treeherder as a vehicle so that is 25 points in total




7 comments:

  1. Nice work Pete - love the flutterbies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Pete. That unicorn looks suitably iconic and heroic. Good luck in your upcoming League game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab stuff.

    (My yoga teacher would appreciate that unicorn! She's like that.....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these figures a lot. The green beard on the tree herder really works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pair, love the unicorn!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete