Wednesday 22 January 2020

From MikeW: US Mexican War - Indiana Volunteers (75 Points)

I had these figures at the back of my workbench since this time last year, so I thought it was time to paint them up and press them into service!
Undercoated & Based figures.
They will fit in with the rest of my US-Mexican / Texas-Mexican Wars collection, these guys are US Army figures, from Old Glory - I believe - and I have opted to paint them up as Indiana Volunteers, who were kitted out by their state in pretty much regulation US Army uniforms of sky blue trousers and shell jacket, dark blue cap and white belts and straps etc.

Finished Volunteer Company of 15 figures.
The figures were undercoated in white and then painted all over in sky blue - I used Vallejo paint as this is form an old set of ACW colours that I have and I assumed that the colour would not be too off for the earlier period.
Another view
I have done the officer and NCO / Standard Bearer in a dark Blue Shell Jacket, really just to make them different and this kit was available during the period. Also - to break-up the uniform feel of the unit - I added a couple pairs of White, grey and brown trousers into the mix.
Close-up of Officer and flag.
Once completed, I painted the figures with Army Painter Dark Tone to add shading and once dried, I worked on the bases, which I left based with sand and added a few 'dried grass' tufts of grass, to give an impression of the Mexican landscape.

The flag was taken from an online image of a flag presented to the 33rd Indiana Volunteers in the Civil War. Obviously not very accurate for the US Mexican War - but I will need to do some more research to get the right flag in place here. The flag is removable - so will not go to waste.

Another close-up showing basing finish with dried grasses
I base these figures individually on round bases and on the tabletop these 15 guys will represent a fairly strong company of 12 Other Ranks, an officer, standard bearer and drummer.

-----
By Paul
Good job Mike - 15 figs is 75 points

8 comments:

  1. US-Mexican War, now that's a very unique project. Great work on these Mike. Will we see younger versions of some of the great generals of the ACW from this project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is one of the appeals of this period, well known names in unexpected situations. Future enemies fighting together, the St Patrick Battalion, Grenadiers of the Supreme Power, Santa Anna etc, etc

      Delete
  2. Goodly stuff Mike! A great idea for a project too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff, great to see this war getting some attention. I do hope there is a Santa Ana and some Mexican lancers in the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Mike - neat project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking volunteers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete