Tuesday 21 January 2020

From ByronM - General Veers and Greek casualty markers (37 points)

A small entry for today, while I work on a few larger submissions.

First up, continuing on with my Star Wars: Legion project I have another character model done.  This time it is General Veers.  For those unfamiliar with the name, he was the Imperial commander that lead the assault on the rebel base on Hoth in the Empire Strikes back.

This character was important for me to get completed as I have enough troops to play a game with, but only Vader as a character.  In game Vader is a HUGE points sink, coming out at about 200 points, so for my initial learning games at 500 points, he is kind of prohibitive to take in as he is 40% of your points.  General Veers is under a 100 points so far easier to fit into a list at the entry level games, and I can keep Vader for the normal 800 point games later on.  More importantly I have a 500 point game setup for tonight, so had to get him done.

I wanted to keep to his normal colour scheme so that he is recognizable, but I may have to dust him up or something to make him fit with the rest of my force.  However, being in a time crunch to complete him, he did not get weathered, he may later.

Next up is a return to my Greek project from the last two years. While I don't really need more Greeks right now, I do need more casualty / moral markers as I keep running out in game. All of the ones I painted up initially were generic Greeks, so mainly meant for the Allied Greek force.  So it was time to get some Spartan themed ones completed so that there are enough to go around during a game.

These are simple 50mm rounds with 3d printed die holders and some Wargames Foundry Greek casualty figures.  I use the dice to show the current moral / shock / casualty count on the attached unit. What the dice symbolizes really depends on what rule set we are playing with, but having these markers is useful no mater what it represents since it stops people from picking up dice from behind a unit and then 5 minutes later trying to remember what the die was and for which unit.

I believe the points for today should be 1 x 7 for the 40mm Veers and 6 x 5 for the 28mm Greeks for a total of 37 points, but it may be less due to only having to paint 1 side of the casualties, I leave that to the minion of the day.

That's it for today, hope you all like the submissions, back probably tomorrow with my Snow Lord's Peak tribute piece.

-------
By Paul:

General Veers is very nice indeed, but its the Greek casualties that steal the show for me. Given the other work in generating those bases I'll score them overall as a full figure (and also because they look so nice!)

Good stuff Byron!


8 comments:

  1. Great stuff Byron - those casualty markers are ace.

    As for General Veers, key question - can he call in an orbital strike that kills 3PO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but he's great at getting lattes for Vader. That's got to count for something.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Byron, love the dead Greeks. Ok that sounds creepy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on Veers, Byron, but I agree with Paul, the casualties are particularly excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice general and great looking Greeks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some dice holders are in my future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That had me puzzled for a bit. General veers? What on earth are general veers? But he is looking great!

    ReplyDelete