Tuesday 21 January 2020

From PeteF: O'Grady's Gulch - Pict Javelinmen (65 points)


Last year I enthusiastically signed up for Challenge IX's Squirrel! duel. I asked one of my wargaming friends for different models to paint and one of the things he gave me was this unit of Pict javelinmen. Distraction prevented me from painting everything I had lined up for the Squirrel! duel and I did not get around to painting the Picts last year. They remained on my shelf of shame for Challenge X and exploring O'Grady's Gulch provided a perfect reason to get them done and returned to their rightful owner.


My friend often bases his troops 3 to a 40mm square base. There are enough to fill the area and they look suitably irregular - it looks great on the tabletop with any kind of not heavily drilled massed ranks and saves a little painting.




Since my last entry was a little light on the painting I promised plaid in a future entry - here it is, including full tartan on the cape. I'm not sure what century these Old Glory sculpts belong to and how anachronistic the textiles might be. They got a mainly green/yellow/brown colour palette. Highlighting the pattern seemed to work well, finally found a use for Amaranth Red which gives a nice orangey highlight to Hull Red (A dark blackish red).



The shields are all simple designs - a mixture of Pictish swirls and various animals. The purple flowers on the base are highland heather. It was an enjoyable project and excised some of the residual shame from the shelf. I'm hoping there won't be (m)any similar projects postponed to Challenge XI or beyond.




Six 28mm foot at five points each plus 30 points for exploring a new area.





-------
By Paul, Lord of the Gulch
A Lordly gift to your friend indeed - he will be thrilled to receive them no doubt.
They look wonderfully irregular and spot on for wild picts charging their foe

And take a bonus 5 points for hand painted shields and plaid - good stuff!

8 comments:

  1. They look great, especially with their patterned tunics! I bet your mate will be thrilled getting these back painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plaid! Arrgh! Run away!

    Seriously, the painting here is great, but my favourite part was still reading about how last year's Squirrel! lineup was interrupted due to distractions...that's brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plaid and hand painted shields, excellent stuff sir. That will separate the men from the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are redeemed! :) Great work on both the plaid and the shields, Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking picts,there seems to be a lot of them about this challenge?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. The plaid looks quite awesome!

    ReplyDelete