Friday 24 January 2020

From ByronM - Revisiting the Thirty Years War - Rousell's Sandhill - (240 Points)

I have been looking for my next spot on the map and trying to figure out what on earth I would do for Rousells Sandhill, and then realized "wait a minute, the figures I am using for the 30 years war are actually from the 'By Fire and Sword' game that is all about the Polish wars from 1640 through 1676"!  Even though I am using them for the 30yw that was preceding the period Rousell wants, the figures are exactly what he is looking for!

Therefore I present to you a pile of men in "floppy" hats....


This group of figures makes up the start of my force from the Holy Roman Empire, which actually doesn't mean that much given the period.  Pretty much EVERYONE involved in the conflict were morally corrupt back stabbers.  The armies were mainly mercenary forces that fought for whomever paid them the most, many forces switched sides multiple times over the course of the war.

Worse, as far as I can figure from all the reading I have done on the subject, the whole war and all the deaths involved in it was pretty much about if you believed the Pope was a representative of God on earth or not.  It was not even about which imaginary being you believed in!  Both sides believed in the exact SAME imaginary being, just differed in how they thought you should worship him.... WOW.  I could at least understand if they believe in different Gods, I couldn't agree with killing each other over it, but could at least understand it.

I mean there is a lot more to it than that, but that was the basic jist of it.  A lot also had to do with Royalty of the time being a bunch of inbred back stabbing power grubbing maniacs that cared little about the actual population that died fighting their wars.

Oh well, enough ranting on a subject I can't possibly truly understand since I am obviously an Aethist by the comments above!  Back to the reason we are all hear.... toy soldiers!


These figures are a mix of several manufacturers.  Most are from Wargamer Games Studio (makers of By Fire and Sword), but there is a mix from Blue Moon, Peter Pig, and at least one other that I am forgetting.

All of them are pretty nice with the WGS ones being the best sculpts to me.

Since the mercenaries changed sides so often they never really used uniforms, hence most of the units being in random coloured normal clothing.  I did however paint one unit in a uniform colour trying to replicate Greg's painting style that he showed me last year when I was struggling with this project.  I think I did a not bad job on them and they look better than the rest of the units.


The flags are just place holder, home printed ones as I have misplaced the much better quality ones I had printed last year, so until I find them these will have to do.

Overall I have 90 infantry figures and 6 guns, so by my math that should be 204 points, plus 30 points for the map space.  I don't know about you all, but 15mm seems like much harder work for the points than 28mm!  I guess I am still trying to paint them too much like 28mm figures.


I know this isn't one of your favourite scales to paint, but you do a fantastic job on them Byron. Whilst religion (or rather, which Christian doctrine) was certainly a major factor in the war, for the leaders at any rate, the big issue that began it was about who got to elect the Holy Roman Emperor and the rights of (the rulers of) the various states - in the early phase protestant Saxony was on the same side as catholic Bavaria and the catholic Hapsburg Emperor.

I'm going to add a point each for the flags, even though they are "placeholders", which takes your score to a round 240 points.

TamsinP



12 comments:

  1. Lovely work indeed Byron and looking very impressive all lined up. Thanks for the history Tamsin, let's not also forget that Catholic France joined in late in the war to help the Protestant princes fight the Catholic Habsburgs. Messy any way you slice it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fine work Tamsin! Certainly an interesting period to game. Full of twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much a I'd like to take credit for these lovely figures, I am merely the minion who minioned Byron's post! ;)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful work Byron. I like the punchy palette you've used and the rigid metal pikes look terrific (the soft metal ones are a weird peccadillo of mine). This is such a rich (and incredibly bloody) period of history, with a multitude of bewildering phases to get lost in - it really is wonderful stuff when looking at through a lens of several hundred years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A spectacular looking force and plenty of floppy hats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking 30 years war force, starts as a war of religion and morphs into a power struggle between states, interesting if bleak period!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. These chaps look awesome Byron! Great floppy hats indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work on these floppy fellows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Byron, they are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spectacular painting and basing!

    ReplyDelete