Wednesday 1 January 2020

From LeeH - Pauravan Indian Javalinmen (72 Points)

Last week I submitted eight bases of infantry/Bowmen for my 4th Century BCE Indian Army and today its the turn of the rest of the infantry, this time Javalinmen. I'm not really sure they can be described as Javelinmen though as these troops carried a weapon that was more akin to a spear than a throwing weapon. 4 Cubits long (about 6ft) with a cane or bamboo haft and a leaf-shaped metal head. These infantrymen also carried a long cane or hide shield, nearly as long as the wielder but not as broad providing a limited degree of protection. 




I've really struggled to find any pictorial sources for these troops online (or elsewhere for that matter) so the only description I have doesn't mention if their standards were coloured or not. I have decided to give each unit a different banner so they can be differentiated but if I find any better information at a later date I can easily repaint the standards. 



As with the bowmen, the 'uniform' of these troops consisted of a white cotton high waisted 'kilt' and sandles, so these were pretty easy to paint. My method makes short work of this scale, block painting the various items of equipment and then applying a generous ink wash (W&N Peat Brown calligraphy ink to be precise). Then four coats of W&N spray varnish to seal everything and protect the paintwork from the rough handling they will get on the games table.


This is four units of 36 infantry, so 144 foot figures in total which will earn me a smart 72 points. I've had a productive opening to this years Challenge but I'm back to work tomorrow so I expect productivity to drop a bit over the coming days. On the whole though, I'm very happy with my position as I'm comfortably ahead of my weekly target and have bought myself a bit of breathing space for the coming weeks.


That is more fine 6mm goodness Lee - the rough handling on the gaming table will be Ray running away i guess? - 72pts it is!

12 comments:

  1. Ore micro ancient loveliness Lee. Your work at this scale is very impress. I hope that there are elephants and chariots in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work, Lee. The banners are marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking teeny tiny subcontinental troops!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great paint job and very interesting write up. May they roll well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on these, Lee! And...wow...4 cubits long is quite the length for any javelin!! They certainly look the business!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible work on such tiny figures - very impressive

    ReplyDelete