Wednesday 1 January 2020

From Curt: Cartel Gangsters and their Housetrailer Holdout (85 Points)


Happy New Year Everybody!


As we turn over to 2020 this will also wrap up my time shepherding the Holiday Season submissions. I'll be passing us over to our brave Weekly Minions, with the esteemed camel-driver DaveD taking the helm for New Year Day. 

I thought I'd close out with a final submission before I hand over the keys to Dave. 

This is a book-end entry to my SAS post from last week. Here we have a nasty band of cartel members, in the midst of a shoot-out next to their seedy caravan hideout.


Similar to my previous post, these figures are all from Spectre Miniatures. I find them to be  very characterful sculpts and a lot of fun to paint. 


As with most of my skirmishy collection, I sawed off the original metal bases on all the figures and replaced them with acrylic bases supplied by my good friend Byron over at Northern Lights Terrain (as we all know, Byron's both a participant and a long-time Challenge sponsor, bless him). It's a bit of a pain to do, but I like the effect of being able to see the table surface though the bases.


The caravan/housetrailer is from Sarissa Precision. I really like their kits as they are seemingly specifically designed for muppets like me. I managed to put this thing together in under 30 minutes AND without completely screwing it up. Bonus.


I wanted to this to be a really dodgy place, definitely not an AirBnB Superhost location, so I went pretty hard on the weathering. For the siding I wanted an effect of faded, peeling paint which I attempted to convey with various shades of simple craft paints. It's pretty rough, but I think it works at arms length.


I kept the interior fairly basic. As opposed to the exterior these guys must be minimalist neat freaks...

I wanted the skylights to be just as nasty as the exterior so I smeared superglue on the surface and misted it with water to get a frosted, scaled effect. I then drybrushed them both light khaki to convey they being filthy and cracked.




Now for a little tabletop scatter. These trash piles, cardboard boxes and stacks of concrete bricks are also from Spectre. 



I find the piled trash bags to be especially neat additions to the terrain collection. 



The largest pile of bags is cast flat along the rear so it can be placed flush along a building. I think they all help give the tabletop that lived-in, urban-decay look.



The Ford F-150 Raptor was a very late addition and has a little story behind it. It was Sarah's birthday this past Monday and a few days prior I was at a ladies gift shop picking something out for her. After I made my purchase I spied in the children's section a group of diecast vehicles. This truck caught my eye and I plunked down for it thinking that, with a little weathering, it will serve nicely as a ride for my cartel boss. 



This group should net me 60 points for the 12 figures, 20 for the caravan and tabletop scatter and another 5 for the weathering on the truck, giving it a grand total of 85.

Thanks for checking in. Now, I put on my pith helmet and head back to Challenge Island. 


36 comments:

  1. Some more excellent stuff to see off the old year my friend! I'm sure these nice young men were caught on the wrong side of the law just by accident, as is always the case, and they'd have been real darlings if given a chance. The trailer is an absolute beaut Curt! Really love the heavy weathering conveying that look of a rather derelict hideout. Just like in the movies. Those garbage bags are an excellent addition to the whole scene and I need remember to get me some as well in case I get a moderns project off the ground at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! To me the garbage bags are the dog's danglies (they even sort of look like 'em). I have to see if I can find/make something similar for the 3D printer.

      Delete
  2. fantastic, you need a nice quite corner to set it up in and leave it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Though tempting, this stuff is no where near as picturesque (or interesting) as a 17th century Japanese village. :)

      Delete
  3. That caravan is absolutely spot on. Seen lots like it on various construction sites, rural lots and homeless encampments.

    Snazzy job on the cartelistas as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rob! It's not a domicile that inspires the editors of Better Homes & Gardens, that's for sure. ;)

      Delete
  4. Another brilliant set of figures and scenery Curt, I have a few of these Spectre miniatures and agree with your judgement on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. Yes, they are very nice figures to work on.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Curt :)

    I can't help thinking that these cartel guys aren't the brightest of the bunch - I'm sure that when the Boss told them to load up 50 bricks into the truck, he didn't mean concrete ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, but it's all a clever ploy, see, it's whats in the center of the brick pile that matters. ;)

      Thanks Tamsin.

      Delete
  6. Those are absolutely fantastic, a new 28mm Trailer Park Boys game 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, I definitely need a Bubbles with a RPG.

      Delete
  7. Great looking trailer trash! The figures are good too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It's the trash that steals the show.

      Delete
  8. Awesome stuff Curt. That trailer and it’s associated trash(human and inanimate) are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Something for us to shoot up sometime in the New Year.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic Curt! I like the fact that they have a tatty hideout, but a top of the line truck. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. Yes, isn't it always the case with these folks. BMWs and Hummers parked next to firetraps seems to be a common theme.

      Delete
  10. Another superb post Curt and those garbage bags are a great touch!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent and inspirational work on these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing work, Curt. I'm storing the pictures for future reference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm honoured by that, Benito. Thank you.

      Delete
  13. Great stuff Curt. The weathering on the trailer is superb mate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a brilliant entry! The gangstas are very evocative, but the weathering on the mobile home really makes it pop. Great idea on the superglue in particular, nice to turn what's usually a problem into a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jamie. Yes, I usually dread superglue for its chaotic frosting effect, but this time it was fun to use it with abandon.

      Delete
  15. Great work on all of this Curt - I love how all the separate elements come together so well to create such an evocative scene. Top stuff as always

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic work dude...I'm particularly impressed that you can devote so much effort to terrain :)

    Not only will the your cartel boss need to contend with the SAS, but will likely have to watch out for a very dodgy 4x4 mode switch system on his F-150...just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. Terrain is such a drag but necessary, especially for this skirmish stuff.

      Re: F-150 4x4 mode. Noted. It'll probably be the thing that gets him. ;)

      Delete
    2. Jeez you guys and your terrain issues. I like mdf kits because they are easy and fun and relaxing to do, they make a nice break from concentrating on minor uniform details.
      The 4x4 issues are easily avoided by not buying a Ford.

      Delete
    3. That's great Peter.... And who let this guy in the room?

      Delete
    4. I’m just here to laugh at you two.

      Delete
  17. I particularly like the scenery here.

    ReplyDelete