Wednesday 1 January 2020

From Alexandros - Ghurkas - Absolute Noob - 55 Points


Happy New Year challengers.
This is my first post ever. I’m absolutely noob and feel like a rockstar in your first concert. In this entry will be a Gurkhas section. It's will a core unit of my challenge.

Gurkhas Section Front View.
 
Gurkhas Section Top View.



During World War II (1939–45), a total of 250,280 Gurkhas served in 40 battalions, They earned 2,734 bravery awards, and suffered around 32,000 casualties in all theatres.(info from Wikipedia)
  



This proyect is focus in far east battle. Playing chain of command rules. I already have a Japanese Platoon  plus reinforcement.


Section have a two team, (Chain of Command british Rifle section) Rifle team with six riflemen and Bren Team with Three men.

LMG Team

Rifle Team + NCO


Figures are made from Warlord Games, I think they are from the last metal boxes. There are 21 figures and they really are very well sculpted.
I bought them a couple of years ago but so far I haven't had time to paint them.


 
The biggest challenge for me is to paint these figures is the skin tone. Searching the internet for the best article I have found is that of the cool mini or not forum.



Chocolate Brown #872, Flat Brown #984, Orange Brown # 981, Beige
Red #804, Cork Brown #843
 
 I have respected the color palette, but I have created intermediate tones between Flat Brown and Orange Brown because the color jump was too large. In general I am happy with the skin tone, but I think I have been a little dark. The next figures I will try a lighter skin tone, with more orange and then shadows with a more purple color.


Welcome along to the challenge Alexandros - thats a fine first entry , i think you got them just right. So its a base 50 points , and an added 5 for an excellent first entry!

17 comments:

  1. They look amazing! I love that skin tone and have used the same in the past, but not to the same effect as you. I can't wait to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic 1st entry, welcome on board

    ReplyDelete
  3. No sign of first night jitters on these Ghurkas Alexandros, these are excellent. I think you nailed the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice painting, Alexandros, and welcome to the Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking gurkhas!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous first entry! Welcome to the Challenge Alexandros! These look absolutely brilliant - I especially like the skin tones and will be trying your recipe in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant first-ever entry, Alexandros. Really well done and I love the facial and skin tones you've added and researched. Totally awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work! Welcome ashore Alexandros!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fantastic. As a former Gurkha I'd say anything in the range of brown/flat earth from light tone to quite dark would work. Jungle fighters would in any case likely be smeared in mud or other camouflage so that their faces wouldn't stand out in the darkness under the canopy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there it is. You can't get more expert advice than this. The things we discover during the Challenge...

      Delete
  10. Cracking work Alexandros and welcome aboard the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Alexandros, great work, and welcome to the Painting Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Alexandria, good work on the realistic skin tones

    ReplyDelete
  13. I almost missed this entry!! Very good work, painting flesh is a nighytmere to me (I'm struggling with my Celts these days). Top notch

    ReplyDelete