Monday 24 February 2020

From BillA - Helena Van Gaal, Space Pilot (35 points)

I've done a few figures from Crooked Dice Games' "Colony 87" line of sci-fi civilians already this Painting Challenge, and here's one more to earn myself passage on Sarah's Balloon; this is "Helena van Gaal," the pilot of a cargo carrier for hire. 


I thought the official paintjob shown on Crooked Dice's site looked a little busy to me, with a lot of black and white panels on the jumpsuit; I decided to simplify down to a white belt, zipper, helmet, boots and backpack; as for the primary color, I blame Star Wars for making orange the color my mind defaults to for space flightsuits.  


To provide a touch of contrast, I went turquoise blue with Helena's hair; I've got several more futuristic models in the wings who will likely be getting vibrant blue, green or pink hair.  It's just more fun for me.

Finally, the base is my now-standard baking soda and superglue arrangement, here painted with Reaper's "Stone Gray" and drybrushed with "Weathered Stone" to look like concrete.


So that's one 28mm figure plus the bonus for Sarah's Balloon so that should equal about 35 points if I'm remembering correctly.  


From DaveD - thats a cools shade of orange! And i think your right star Wars has indeed embedded that thought - it would be my default choice too.

10 comments:

  1. Nice figure and painting Bill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mini (fabulous hair!). Actually when I first saw her I thought Space 1999 (loved that show when I was a kid).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on this figure Bill. You can blame Star Wars for a lot of things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to avoid buying all of these nice figures and nice jobs like this don't help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great little figure indeed, yet I do miss the soccer ball mate ;-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_van_Gaal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely space pilot and I'm with you on the star wars reference!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine work! Really dig the blue hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 🎈Lady S welcomes the fashionably dressed Helena aboard the Balloon Service.🎈

    ReplyDelete