Friday 8 January 2021

AlanD - Caesarian Legionaries (80 points)

 Having just finished one Roman army project, the obvious thing to do is to start another.

A few of us in our gaming group have fallen hard for the Infamy! Infamy! rules from Too Fat Lardies. They really are great, and I've had some fantastic games as a Roman Imperial player getting completely smashed by hairy Germans.


Paul O'Grady has been super keen to have a little Roman civil war, and after twisting my arm for a nanosecond or so, I agreed to join him in painting a Roman force for the civil wars of the late Republic. The Caesarian Starter Army box from Warlord Games was great for this project, with Paul chucking me a bunch of sprues and telling me to get cracking.

So here are the first two units of legionaries complete. It has been a nice change painting them after the more complex legionaries of the third century AD, and especially since I'm (ahem) ... using shield decals....  



17 comments:

  1. Decals? How the mighty have fallen!

    They look great! I’m very envious of your gaming group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those are nice. And I think decal shields can make good figures look excellent, so fair play to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Alan! Your Legionaries do defeinitely look as they'll give Paul's traitors a run for their Sestertiae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh c'mon, its a bit early for name calling isn't it?
      I haven't even crossed the Rubicon yet! :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking cohort! The shields came out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when a cunning plan start coming together!
    They look really great mate, and you whipped them up in a flash! Looking forward to decimating them on the table :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Chucking me a few sprues" - this is a good way to get collection escalation going!

    Well done, the figures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing. Roman armies are on my bucket list to paint someday, but I seem to have caught the scifi bug hard lately so I'll mostly be focusing on that for the coming year, but these certainly provide some temptation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Alan, they look the business for some Roman on Roman fights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking Republican Romans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely stuff Alan. I think I may have to try this Infamy lark sometime (perhaps when all the hype has died down)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic Romans. The shield decals are probably a bit easier than hand painting the designs, but they look okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work. Those shields are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look rather fine indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting a few sprues often leads to a huge army 😁 nicely done ✔
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just some sprues eh? We've all heard that before... They look great however, and Romans are exempted anyway. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete