Monday 25 January 2021

AlanD - Into the Hall of Traps (40 points)

 

All these Romans I've been painting need some field fortifications! And what better way to ruin the impetus of a barbarian charge with a field of lilia. As described by Caesar in his Gallic Wars, these 'lilies' were conical pits with a stake in the bottom of each, laid out in a checkerboard pattern. 

As the pits were carefully camouflaged, modelling the traps is a compromise If the legionaries knew their trade, the base should just look like an empty patch of ground. That would, however, be boring on the tabletop, so I've made them more obvious than they would be to a Gallic warband.

The base is 12 inches long, so with the bonus for the Hall of Traps, I think this little entry earns me 40 points?


Oh, and my friend Mac asked if I bought the lilia from Footsore Miniatures........



7 comments:

  1. Quite a brutal way to deter trespassers. Nice traps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking set of traps! I'm not sure the final sentence deserves a comment!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great take on the theme and great modelling too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work... could double as a minefield in 20th centeruy wars too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set of Traps, mind your step !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one mate - caltrops to follow? :-)

    ReplyDelete