Monday 25 January 2021

From SebastianR : Aint no party like a raiding party - Adventurers Landing (82pts)

In part 2 of Sebastian tries frustrating, experimental basing techniques, we have these British Commandoes for Flames of War.

In this installment, I cracked open my new pot of Galeria Medium Grain Gel, a basing material I was told I could colour to my tastes in order to provide a custom base colour and save time.

Now this is true, but in order to ensure that it worked - and to proof of concept a lighter-than-my-usual earth tone to represent a middle-ground between inland France and the beaches - I decided to run off some test bases.

Now kids, it's important when you run experiments to take notes, and not rely on your memory alone. Then, when you've waited 24h for you basing material to dry, and drybrushed it up, you're not left trying to figure out what the base colour was on the one you like the look of...

In the end I gave up and plumped for English Uniform; pretty sure it's not the one I originally liked, but it will do. The aim is to - once varnishing season comes - plump down some grass tufts to simulate the scrubby bluff along the Normandy beaches. So I might have seen a scheme I liked on the FoW Facebook page, sue me.

Honestly, this was an odd blister pack. It's contents did not seem to match those listed (although battlefront lists the units you can build, rather than individual figures), it seemed light on Brens and contained a bonus sniper and bagpiper. So... bonus?

That's 20 for the challenge and 62 for the figures.

Oh, and they are definitely getting their feet wet.


 

8 comments:

  1. Yikes - more fun with basing! Well done on the points sir...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the minis and the bases.

    I've found writing notes on the underside of bases a useful aid when it comes to 'remembering' what I did. If only I could recall what the notes mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say you won- I imagine a bagpiper sniper combo would be deadly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bagpipes were the first thing I saw! These look great, I think memory exercises are useful for staving off dementia, I think I read it somewhere? Lovely commandos!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking commandos. I relate to your basing memory loss, welcome to my world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could do with some all-in-one basing mix...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still need to highlight it but at least your base colour is done.

      Delete
  7. Some great looking bases, Bagpipes give enemy plus one fear 😨
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete