Tuesday 13 February 2018

From JimI: Armoured Sergeants (85 points)


Continuing with the Fireforge miniatures, I’ve put together a couple of groups of armoured sergeants with a variety of hand weapons. These, like the bowmen, are really lovely models with some excellent poses. There are six different bodies on the sprue with dozens of different head and arm combinations.  I'm fairly confident that in this group no two are quite the same.



Once put together and arranged with a bit of thought it is possible to get an enormous amount of quite energetic movement from the models. I like my troops to look rather jumbled. Painting them is a pleasure. The surfaces are large smooth and very well detailed.  For this project I wanted the men to look as though they belonged on the battlefield rather than the parade ground.

With this in mind and along with the dull colouring and leathery tones I wanted the shields to look worn and battered. The shields are big and very prominent and so I think I was more concerned with getting those right more than anything else. In fact, some cover the model almost entirely. I'll post a "how to" for the shields later.



There are sixteen models here for 80pts.

Almost done with the cavalry so they'll be up next.

All the best for now and I hope you all keep those brushes busy!

Jim

-----------------------------------------------------

Jim, these are simply spectacular!  Not just the modelling, but the colouring, the basing, the shields and the photography.  Everything adds up to a fantastic package of miniature painting excellence, from start to finish.  

The contrast in the pain tones is not only smooth, but I love how the figures fit with each other and compliment the units they are members of.  Thank you also for supplying the close-up photos.  I am sure I can't be the only Challenger looking on enviously, looking forward to getting back to the brushes and trying to replicate a little of the Ibbotson magic.

80 points for the figures, but also an extra 5 for the modelling, basing, arrangement and photography.  Great work, Sir!

26 comments:

  1. When I first glanced at these, I thought I was seeing a film clip to illustrate what your models were going to look like. Absolutely superb. When I eventually get to painting these myself, I'll be using these pix as inspiration. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic work, some of the most realistic stuff I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  3. great stuff indeed, I really like the scenic background for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great thing to see... great models.. great terrain.. great photography.... a triple threat if ever there was one! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the sentiment of great photography and setting. Those Fireforge minis look like they would be great for Warhammer Bretonnians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again with Blue Tuesday - that's five in a row counting Samuli's Bloodweiser girl! These are just excellent - I fully agree on your jumbled collection of unit poses for medievals. Love the shields too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Guys. Great comments. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work! I quite like those FF plastics but you really made them shine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work Jim. I love how gritty they look, especially the mud-spattered shields.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zoiks, some gifted brush skills on display, great work Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous looking medieval types, lovely painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice seeing some of this range painted up. Trying to determine which range to go with myself for medieval games

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work Jim, and very nicely photographed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Work! Love Fireforge minatures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are spectacular! I first thought I was looking at a photograph of some reenactors. Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully painted figures man you've done a perfect job on these, I was wondering what these figures were like as I'm about to recieve a heap of boxes as a part payment for painting for a friend now I'm excited

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb. Really like what you have done here. Top job! The entire army is going to look amazing! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Superb work - love everything about them.
    Apart from the fact that I didn't paint them that is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are really, nicely painted. Great muted palette, and the armour is just right. Well done.

    Richard C

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spectacular painting and photography! I’m looking forward to your shield tutorial.

    ReplyDelete