Sunday 28 February 2021

From EdwardG: Baccus 6mm 1815 Brunswickers (125points)

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is still healthy! 

This last week I have only really had time to finish off some basing on my 2nd major project of the lockdown! Which is the Anglo-Allied Army for the 1815 campaign in Belgium. The project is currently split between a friend and I, and to begin with we are concentrating on getting Quatre Bras on the table. Afterwards, I plan to further work on the Orbats and the grand scheme is to eventually conduct a what-if campaign of 1815. 

As for rules sets, we have picked up General d'Armee, and really enjoy it. I think for me it is the right mix of grand tactical decision making and granularity. Also, when playing, I find it looks like a Napoleonic battle (at least my impression of one!) 

So far I have managed to paint up the 2nd Dutch-Belgian Division, and the first half of the Brunswick Corps. In the past two months I have finished of the second half of the Brunswick Corps, and the Dutch-Belgian Cavalry (for a future post). Next in the painting queue is the British and Hanoverian Infantry, with the British guns last. Sadly looking at the amount of time left I am not sure if I will get them done for the end of this Challenge. However, seeing the size of the armies in 1815, I am sure I will still be working on it for a few more Challenges to come. 

As for this post I present the Brunswick Corp (well half of it at least). I have painted:

  • The command stand of the Duke, labelled as a Corps Commander
  • The two artillery batteries of Moll (only 1 gun during the Challenge) and von Heinemann
  • The 2nd Hussar Regiment
  • The Brunswick Uhlans
  • The Brunswick Avant Guard
  • Leib Guard Battalion
  • 1st Light Infantry Battalion
  • 2nd Light Infantry Battalion
  • Some additional skirmisher bases
The remainder of the infantry was painted before the Challenge began. 

I have to confess, that I am the type of Napoleonic wargamer who likes the aesthetic of the period, but I am not that worried about counting buttons. Which means that I have added some flags to both the AvG and Leib Guard battalions. In all of the literature that I read in preparation for painting the Corps. Nowhere said that they carried banners, and in fact some specifically said they didn't. But to me a 6mm Napoleionic battalion without some sort of flag, just looks wrong on the table top. So I have crafted some suitably plausible flags in paint and  affixed them to my battalions. 

I must admit that these were possibly the easiest of the troops from 1815 to paint. I was able to spray paint them black, which took care of almost all of the uniform and equipment! The AvG miniatures are not quite right, being AWI British infantry, working as proxies. Sadly Baccus does not yet make formed infantry wearing the Jägerhut. 

Some further pictures:







Points wise, I have calculated the following tally:

  • 4x32 man battalions = 64pts
  • 15+1 skirmishing figures = 8pts
  • 4 guns + 16 crewmen = 12pts
  • 41 mounted Generals and cavalry = 41pts
Total = 125pts

By my admittedly possibly biased calculations, I do believe I have exceed my points target!! :D 

I hope to be able to post more soon! Stay safe all!

Best,
Ed

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Edward! I really like those Uhlans. I'm a big fan of General d' Armee rules as well. You're going to have a ball with these guys.

    Finally, congratulations on achieving your target. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking teeny tiny Brunswickers! I'm with you on plausible flags they need to put on a show on the table!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvellous, big fan of going with what looks good and not what is 100% accurate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always happy to see 6mm figures, Baccus are my favourite and the Black Brunswickers are awesome. So this is a triple treat, and they look absolutely splendid too! Great work, love the flags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Black Brunswickers. I’ve played GdA with Curt and also Miles. It gives a good game but I find it takes a pretty scenic tour to get to the right result at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. And how many skullz did you paint? Enquiring minds want to know!

      Delete