Thursday 25 February 2021

From LeeH - More British Airborne

As is my way I bought way too many miniatures when I started this project. In my defence the models are just so nice I couldn't resist and the spare figures have enabled me to paint up a few more support units and spare leaders for my Chain of Command British airborne platoon. I did these as a batch and I'm really happy with how the camo on the Denison Smock's came out this time. 


First off there is a 17pdr Anti Tank Gun with a crew of five men and a separate junior leader. This time if decided to base the whole lot on a single large round base and included a small dice holder to mark off casualties. 


Next, there is a Vickers HMG on a Tripod mount, with a crew of 5 men. One gunner, a loader, two spotters and a spare man. Again I have added a dice frame to the base for marking off casualties. 


Then I painted three Senior Leaders. All my Senior leader models have a clump of red flowers on the base to make them stand out a bit, although I have in the past also painted the rim of the base red. One of the models represents the famous Major Digby Tatham-Warter who went into battle with his umbrella. At one point in the battle at Arnhem Bridge, he disabled a German armoured car by sticking the umbrella through the vehicles vision slit and poking the driver in the eye! 


The remaining models are Junior Leaders and will have a yellow band around the base. Also amongst this lot is a figure with a wireless set hiding behind a log. He will be used as an Observer for off table barrages or air support. 


As I say, I'm really happy with how these turned out and these complete my British Airborne. Hahaha, who am I kidding, no project is ever complete, I'm sure I'll find some other support units to add and I still have quite a few spare Peter Pig and Skytrex figures in my lead pile. 

(Scoring: 18x15mm Foot & 1x15mm Artillery = 40 Points)

11 comments:

  1. Great looking para Lee. Love the officer waving the brolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Lee - would love to see a blog or even video on how you did the cammo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking minis. The one bit of the post that didn’t compute was the thing about buying too many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umbrella vs tank? That is stretching my belief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the officer with the umbrella, you should write the password on the bottom of his base to help him remember it

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look smashing. You actually have a little Urquhart there, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the phrase "in my defence the figures were really nice!" Lovely looking paras and support, I'm sure there will be more!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're a nice bunch and nicely done, but I think they get neglected in 15mm games. I'm afraid I'm obsessed with Arnhem, so I've got an embarassment of 15mm Paras on the shelf of shame.

    ReplyDelete