Thursday 25 February 2021

From Barks: Cult vehicles at the Snowlord's Altar (75 points)

The Snowlord Challenged me to paint two 28mm vehicles. I shy away from painting vehicles, mostly because of the variety of techniques I'm not comfortable with. There's a balance I can't achieve between my style, a realistic scale model style, and speed. So I've been putting off painting these vehicles for years.

These are civilian mining vehicles, weaponised by my cult for the coming uprising. The predominant colour is a utilitarian grey with some hazard stripes because safety. The kits are nice, with a lot of options in assembly. Because I don't know any better, I made a rod for my own back by trying to make as many of these options viable as possible. I literally chopped and changed several things during the assembly process. I did them in subassemblies, which made painting easier but it was more like painting two dozen models than just two.

Subassemblies before Army Painter Uniform Grey spray.
It took me days to get the models to this stage.


Achilles Ridgerunner

The Ridgerunner is a cool zippy little buggy, with a lot of options. I 3D printed some extra parts to give me all the options, and fiddled around with magnets and superglue and swearing. I experimented with pigments on the tyres (Vallejo European Earth)- I don't want too much weathering, but I still didn't quite get the effect I was looking for.

Missile Launcher and Spotter

Two Heavy Stubbers

The markings are decals left over from old scale model kits.




Spotter

I made antennas from stretched sprue. Two snapped during painting. Pennants were from stickers wrapped around the antenna.

Stretched-sprue antenna and pennant

I prefer grunts to vehicles. The kneeling character has legs from the Wargames Atlantic Raumjäger kit, which were a little too large but not criminally so.


Heavy Mining Laser and Flare Launcher

Heavy Mortar and Survey Augur


Goliath Truck/ Rockgrinder

The second vehicle I inflicted on myself was a Goliath I picked up at CanCon 2019. Again, I spent a lot of time prepping this so I could use all the options. This mining vehicle has two main choices- the Goliath Truck, or the Goliath Rockgrinder.

Goliath Truck

The Goliath Truck is a troopcarrier. I shaved a few bits away to allow three previously painted 25mm-based figures to fit inside.

Troop compartment


Twin-linked Autocannon



Commander has a Heavy Stubber


Goliath Rockgrinder

The Goliath Rockgrinder is a utility mining vehicle, and the back is covered. The mining arm has a dedicated operator, and the main attraction is the Drilldozer Blade. All of these are magnetized. I used some Tamiya 5mm tape for masking the hazard stripes on the blade, and freehanded the rest.

Covered tray

Drilldozer Blade


Heavy Mining Laser

Clearance Incinerator

Heavy Seismic Cannon

Operator's console

I'm relieved to have these vehicles done, but I didn't love the process. The effects I was keen to achieve seem to be done with airbrushes and specialty enamel products that I don't have. There are so many little details that I was quite fatigued by the end. Thank goodness no camouflage was involved! I am amazed at how some of you are able to churn out fleets of lovely big vehicles.


2x 28mm vehicles: 40 points

2 + (2 x ½) 28mm crew: 15 points

Snowlord's Altar: 20 points

GW side challenge: 55 points

37 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the vehicles. I agree they can be a chore, bit I think the effort was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome looking vehicles! The sub assemblies are insane! Congratulations on completing the task, they're great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking trucks mate. Well worth the swearing and loss of skin on your fingertips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaasssss!! Love these models, and the paint jobs are amazing! Great work here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, practical, flexible AND safe thanks to the stripes? These cultists have great rides!
    Well done Barks - vehicles can be a chore yes, but I hope you find the results pleasing. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smashing job Barks, well worth all the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all it took was a threat from the Snowlord...

      Delete
  7. I think you crushed the task! Like your vehicles will crush the forces of the false Emperor!

    Great work! Although, hearing your painful journey has reminded me why I stick with 6mm vehicles as a maximum size limit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fantastic. I threw in an extra 5 points for all the extra parts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You pulled out all the stops for this challenge, Barks. Bravo!! I'm with you on vehicles. Love 'em but I'll paint a figure anyday instead (goes the same for terrain).I really like all the variants you managed to model (magnets for the win!) and the extra add-on bits are terrific. Mission accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! Now promise you’ll never make me do that again.

      Delete
    2. As long as you stop acquiring vehicles you're safe. ;)

      Delete
  10. Very well done Barks! You simply can't go wrong with hazard stripes in 40k

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome Barks! While I despise the Genestealer cultists (being a true son of the Emperor)they do have some truly cool vehicles and you have done them up a treat for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally commit heresy for a cool ride.

      Delete
  12. You may not like painting vehicles but you are amazingly good at it. These look absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I just wish I could do it quicker, with less effort.

      Delete
  13. Well done Mr. B! The vehicles look superb!

    ReplyDelete